India's censors block 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
MUMBAI, India – India's censor board said Thursday, March 5, it has blocked the release of Fifty Shades of Grey despite being shown a toned-down version of the erotic movie. (READ: 'Fifty Shades of Gray' gets R-18 rating in the Philippines)
The chief executive of the powerful Central Board of Film Certification, said the US film had not received clearance but could try again.
"It did not pass, but it is not unusual as many mainstream films don't get clearance in the first step, people have the option to go for a revising committee's opinion," Shravan Kumar told the Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency. (READ: ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Review: Tepid drama)
"The theme of the movie is such that it could not be cleared in the first viewing. In the second step, a wider committee will review the film."
A source at Universal Pictures, the film's backers, told AFP that it had been refused certification in India with a 4-1 vote against.
He said the version shown to the committee had been toned down by the studio, with many of the expletives and several nude scenes edited out.
"Our next step would be to go to the revising committee. These delays simply eat into revenues and encourage piracy," said the source, declining to be named.
Despite mixed reviews, the erotic bondage tale of billionaire Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) and his sadomasochistic relationship with college graduate Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson) has been an international box office hit.
The film, based on the 2011 novel by British author E.L. James that has sold 100 million copies, saw a record February opening in North America but has been banned in some countries, including Malaysia.
India's film censors have a long history of barring movies and cutting scenes, including those that are deemed too racy or may cause religious offense. – Rappler.com
More 50 Shades of Grey on Rappler:
- WATCH: If Cinderella were in 'Fifty Shades'
- Check out this throwback photo of 'Fifty Shades' actor Jamie Dornan
- Dominant 'Fifty Shades of Grey' sets box office record
- Netizens get witty with #MNL50ShadesOfGrey
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': The best, worst, and sexiest bits
- What critics are saying about 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Review: Tepid drama
- Erotic 'Fifty Shades of Grey' starts worldwide rollout
- Feast your eyes on 'The Dom,' a dessert inspired by 'Fifty Shades'
- WATCH: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Lego parody
- Watch Christian show Ana the Red Room in new ‘Fifty Shades’ full clip
- David Gandy turned down role of Christian in ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’
- 'Fifty Shades of Gray' gets R-18 rating in the Philippines
- New 'Fifty Shades' full scene: Christian Grey doesn't do romance
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' full scene: Encounter at the hardware store
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' full scene: Christian's offer for Ana
- Christian Grey in new 'Fifty Shades' TV spot: 'Where have you been?'
- WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres stars in her own funny 'Fifty Shades' trailer
- Meet Christian Grey's family and Kate: New 'Fifty Shades' posters revealed
- WATCH: New 'Fifty Shades' trailer: 'Why are you trying to change me?'
- WATCH: A glimpse of Christian Grey’s closet in new ‘Fifty Shades’ teaser
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' stars on the 'task' of filming steamy scenes
- WATCH: First 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trailer released
- Charlie Hunnam: Leaving 'Fifty Shades' was 'heartbreaking'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' movie unveils new Christian Grey photo