Tirso Cruz III faced cancer scare, surgery
MANILA, Philippines – Veteran actor Tirso Cruz III battled stage 2 lung cancer last year, but is now doing much better.
According to a report from Pep, Tirso – or "Pip," as he's fondly called by colleagues and friends – talked about his cancer battle during an advance birthday party for him last Saturday, March 28 in Quezon City. The actor’s birthday is on April 1.
Tirso said that he initially did not want to have a check-up, but his son, actor Bodie Cruz encouraged him to do so. It was during the check-up he found out he had lung cancer.
“I was diagnosed with lung cancer. But friends, huwag kayong mag-alala dahil maganda ang ending nitong kuwento ko (But friends, don't worry because the story has a happy ending),” Tirso said.
Tirso said they were hoping that medicine would work, but after a CT-scan and biopsy, it was discovered that the lump was malignant.
At the time, he was doing Hawak Kamay with Piolo Pascual. Tirso admitted that he used to smoke and may be the cause of the cancer.
Tirso said he went through surgery in September 2014, and thankfully, the operation went well. He went through rounds of treatment as well.
“Then came the result. The most wonderful news that God has given us, my whole family.
“Sinabi ng doktor, (The doctor said) ‘You are now 100% cancer-free!” Tirso shared.
Tirso is now back to work, currently doing a movie with John Lloyd Cruz entitled Honor Thy Father, and will be part of the upcoming Judy Ann Santos-Richard Yap teleserye Someone to Watch Over Me.
“God is an awesome God! Thank you for this wonderful blessing! Praise the Lord!” Tirso said. – Rappler.com