Nora Aunor speaks on National Artist controversy

MANILA, Philippines - Actress Nora Aunor has spoken up about her exclusion from the list of this year’s National Artist Awards. 

In a statement released on Interaksyon, the actress admitted she was hurt by the series of events, but is grateful for the support given to her by friends, showbiz colleagues, and fans.

“Inaamin ko pong nasaktan ako sa mga nangyari. Pero ang dagsa ng suporta na nakita ko at naramdaman mula sa aking mga kababayan – mga katrabaho ko sa industriya, mga fans at mga kaibigan, mga pari at madre, mga guro at iba pang taga-akademya, mga taga-media, mga National Artists, mga pangkaraniwang mamamayan dito at sa ibang bansa – ay sapat-sapat na upang maramdaman kong maski wala mang tropeo o karangalang igawad sa akin ang mga nasa kapangyarihan, iniluklok naman ako ng mga kababayan ko habang buhay sa kanilang mga puso bilang isang artista ng bayan,” Nora said.

(I admit I was hurt over the issue. But the continuous support that I see and feel from my fellowmen – colleagues in the industry, fans and friends, priests and nuns, teachers and many more in the academe. from the media, from National Artists, the people here and abroad, is enough that I would feel that even if i don’t have a trophy, or no award is given to me by those in power, my fellowmen will always recognize me in their hearts as an artist of the country.) 

She also said that the support she received inspired her to improve further in her craft in order to share her talents and strive to be a good and honorable Filipino.

Prior to Nora, her adopted daughter Matet de Leon defended her mother, saying that while she may not have been recognized, the past awards the superstar won was also dedicated to the Filipino people.

The actress was part of the list submitted by the National Commission and Culture and the Arts (NCCA) and the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) but was not included in the list of honorees announced last June 20. 

National Artist for Literature Bienvenido Lumbera in an interview with Rappler last week said that Malacañang owes fans of Nora an explanation, as to why she was dropped from the list.

The NCCA for its part said they were disappointed by her exclusion but respects the decision of the president. However, they are open to revising the nomination rules.

Malacañang said that the President followed the rule in the selection process. - Rappler.com