This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
MANILA, Philippines – Looking back, Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach said it was not an easy journey to win the crown for the Philippines after 42 years. She is thankful that aside from the training provided by Binibining Pilipinas Charities, she got a lot of support from her predecessors. (READ: Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe)
During the media interview Sunday, January 24 at Novotel, Pia said that one of the best pieces of advice she got was from 2011 Miss Universe 3rd runner-up Shamcey Supsup.
“The best advice I got this year for Miss Universe was from Shamcey Supsup. She said that you should know when to peak. That means you just have to save your energy for the moments that really matter,” Pia said, adding that the competition can be very exhausting.
She also said that through her 3 attempts, one of the things she learned was to relax enough to finallly earn the crown to represent the country in the Miss Universe.
“Hindi ka pwede gigil na gigil. (You can’t be too tense.) I was like that on my first try and worse on my second try because I wanted to redeem myself. On the third try, I’m just going to go for it and like, if it’s meant for me, it will really happen then if not, at least I tried again,” she said.
At the grand press conference, Pia shared that one of the reasons she believed that the Filipino beauty queens excelled in 2015 was because of their natural confidence.
“The reason why we’ve been doing so well is because we have that confidence that’s not forced. Because we have been doing so well, you know when you’re a Filipina, and you’re wearing that sash as Miss Philippines, you know you have that edge already because it’s in your blood. And it’s something you need to realize for yourself,” she said.
“The confidence came out. The confidence was there along anyway. It just needed to come out,” she added.
Pia is scheduled to have her grand parade on Monday, January 25, with courtesy calls at Manila City hall, and Senate. – Rappler.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach defends answer on US military presence in PH
- Pia Wurtzbach to wear more Filipino designs during reign
- Pia Wurtzbach on love life, being ‘sawi,’ and more
- Is Pia coming or not? Confusion leads to blame game in CDO
- Honoring Miss Universe: House mulls tax exemption for Pia Wurtzbach
- LOOK: Pia Wurtzbach’s Miss Universe photos by Fadil Berisha
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach arrives in Manila
- WATCH: Miss Colombia, Steve Harvey laugh at Miss Universe memes
- WATCH: Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez discusses ‘nightmare’ Miss Universe moment
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach discusses Miss Universe mix-up with Steve Harvey
- Pia Wurtzbach meets Lea Salonga in New York
- James Franco responds to Pia Wurtzbach: ‘I love the Philippines!’
- Pia Wurtzbach coming home to PH on January 23
- Pia Wurtzbach reacts to meeting Samuel L Jackson, Eva Longoria
- Steve Harvey releases first statement on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach answers pageant questions in 45 seconds
- Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach on effigy issue, PH homecoming
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach gets her Miss Universe walk
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach’s first interview as Miss Universe 2015
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:’ I’m Colombian but I would choose Philippines’
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
- Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
Pia Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach’s New Year message: ‘I’ve never been more proud to be a Filipina’
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH’s Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen ’round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach’s triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach’s national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I’m not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach’s official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation