MANILA, Philippines – Confetti rained down as tens of thousands of shrieking fans paralyzed traffic in the Philippine capital on Monday to welcome home the newly crowned Miss Universe, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach. (IN PHOTOS: Pia Wurtzbach at grand homecoming parade)
The 26-year-old model, looking regal in a flowing blue-green gown, waved the Philippine flag while perched on a float designed in the fashion of the competition winner’s diamond and sapphire crown that she was wearing.
The adoring crowd, many of whom stepped out of their offices and schools, jammed Manila’s streets and snapped photos of only the third Filipina to win the Miss Universe title.
Many others screamed and waved at Wurtzbach from the windows of their high-rise offices as busloads of policemen were deployed to secure the homecoming parade.
“Pia’s victory in Miss Universe made us proud to be Filipino,” said 37-year-old housewife Celia Nobleza, who watched the parade carrying her one-year-old daughter.
“My dream is for her to become Miss Universe someday. It will surely open many doors for her.”
Beauty pageants are incredibly popular in the nation of 100 million people, who seek heroes partly to uplift their spirits from crushing poverty, frequent natural disasters and crippling corruption.
Such frenzied homecoming parades have in recent years rarely been seen – previously, for 8-time world boxing champion Manny Pacquiao, who will retire after one last fight in April to pursue a political career, and for Miss World 2013 Megan Young.
The New York-based Miss Universe pageant is particularly popular in the Philippines, a former US colony.
“I hope I can be an inspiration to all of you, not to give up and to always keep studying and respect your parents and treat each other fairly,” Wurtzbach said at a ceremony before the parade.
Uplifting the nation
Wurtzbach fan Miguelito Herrera, 47, traveled four hours by bus from Cabanatuan City, a commercial centre north of Manila, to join Monday’s parade.
Herrera credited his love of beauty pageants with helping him overcome bouts of depression after he was laid off from his job as a soda salesman in 2003, and after his mother died from heatstroke in 2013.
Being unemployed, Herrera said he was too broke to see a psychologist.
“When I see beauty queens, the feeling is so uplifting. It’s like we can endure so much, so many problems. They inspire a lot of people,” Herrera told AFP, wearing a white shirt with Wurtzbach’s picture printed on it.
Like many other Filipinas who have been successful in international pageants, the Philippine-German Wurtzbach is poised for a successful career in entertainment.
She told AFP in an interview on Sunday she had her eyes set on a Hollywood career.
“I want to be the Filipina Bond girl,” said Wurtzbach, who was a small-time television actress in the Philippines before her breakthrough moment.
Wurtzbach was crowned Miss Universe in Las Vegas last month following an epic blunder that played out to an estimated one billion people watching on television around the world.
The pageant host, American comedian Steve Harvey, mistakenly announced Colombian Ariadna Gutierrez as Miss Universe and then corrected himself minutes later.
The outgoing Miss Universe, Paulina Vega, took the crown from her humiliated and sobbing compatriot and placed it on Wurtzbach’s head.
Wurtzbach told AFP on Sunday she would use her new high-profile platform to raise awareness about HIV, especially in her home country where infections are rising.
Her week-long homecoming itinerary also includes courtesy calls on parliament and on President Benigno Aquino, a 55-year-old bachelor whom she was rumored to have dated briefly. – Rappler.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- IN PHOTOS: Pia Wurtzbach at grand homecoming parade
- Pia Wurtzbach honored with key to the city of Manila
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares awesome advice from Shamcey Supsup
- Pia Wurtzbach to wear more Filipino designs during reign
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach defends answer on US military presence in PH
- Pia Wurtzbach on love life, being ‘sawi,’ and more
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach arrives in Manila
- WATCH: Miss Colombia, Steve Harvey laugh at Miss Universe memes
- WATCH: Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez discusses ‘nightmare’ Miss Universe moment
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach discusses Miss Universe mix-up with Steve Harvey
- Pia Wurtzbach meets Lea Salonga in New York
- James Franco responds to Pia Wurtzbach: ‘I love the Philippines!’
- Pia Wurtzbach coming home to PH on January 23
- Pia Wurtzbach reacts to meeting Samuel L Jackson, Eva Longoria
- Steve Harvey releases first statement on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach answers pageant questions in 45 seconds
- Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach on effigy issue, PH homecoming
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach gets her Miss Universe walk
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach’s first interview as Miss Universe 2015
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:’ I’m Colombian but I would choose Philippines’
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
- Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
Pia Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach’s New Year message: ‘I’ve never been more proud to be a Filipina’
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH’s Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen ’round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach’s triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach’s national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I’m not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach’s official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.