MANILA, Philippines – Since the first season in 2005, Pinoy Big Brother has had it shares of controversies, confessions, and surprises courtesy of Kuya (Big Brother) himself.
As the finals night approaches, let us take a look at some of the highlights from the show.
1. Nude Painting Challenge. In the June 4 episode of the show, housemate Jayme Jalandoni was issued this challenge by Kuya: pose nude for a painting. She was asked to picked three housemates to complete the challenge with. She accepted, but soon backed out after hearing her father’s opinion, which she said she would respect.
The challenge however did not sit well Philippine Commission on Women and senators Nancy Binay and Pia Cayetano, who called on the The Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) to investigate the matter. After a mandatory conference on June 11, ABS-CBN issued an apology.
2. Jane Oineza’s ‘no comment’ on Kathryn Bernardo plastic surgery issue. One of the most controversial housemates this season, Jane has earned the ire of teen star Kathryn Bernardo’s fans, when she said “no comment,” as to whether the actress had enhancements done on her body.
In the June 26 episode, Jane and Kathryn faced each other, where Jane apologized to the actress. Kathryn for her part accepted the apology but cautioned Jane in her use of words, which can be misinterpreted.
3. Fifth Pagotan admits he’s bisexual on TV. On the July 15 episode of the show, Fifth Pagotan revealed the big news - he was bisexual.
In a separate conversation with housemate Manolo Pedrosa, Fifth said: "Hindi ako straight. Bisexual ako." (I m not straight. I am bisexual.)
His twin brother Fourth was initially hesitant on the idea for him to be open about his sexuality, but eventually said that he will support him on the decision. Fourth said, he knew about his brother's sexuality since high school.
4. Joshua Garcia confesses to Jane Oineza "mahal kita.” (I love you.) In the July 31 episode of the show, Joshua Garcia finally told Jane that he likes her. The two have been close to each other since the beginning but it was only in July, when Joshua, known as the “Tatay’s boy ng Batangas” ( Father’s boy of Batangas) told Jane his true feelings, after La Salle basketball player Jeron Teng entered the house to greet her on her birthday.
"Alam mo naman siguro na may feelings ako para sa'yo, 'di ba? Nararamdaman mo, pero hindi siya malinaw. So ngayon, sasabihan ko na – special ka para sa akin, may feelings ako para sa iyo. Ang pinakalabas diyan, siyempre, mahal kita,” Joshua told Jane during a conversation at the dining area.
(I guess you know my feelings for you right? You might feel it, but maybe it’s not clear. So now, I will say it – you are special to me, I have feelings for you. What comes out of it is, I love you.)
Caught off-guard by the confession, Jane told Big Brother what she felt over the situation. Both were advised to think well over the matter.
5. Jason Abalos, Vickie Rushton and Daniel Matsunaga: love triangle? As viewers saw the closeness between Vickie Rushton and Brazilian-Japanese model Daniel Matsunaga inside the house, many wondered if Vickie was falling for Daniel especially when the model gave her a kiss during one of their activities.
In the July 27 episode, Vickie confessed to Kuya that she and boyfriend, actor Jason Abalos almost broke up several times, saying that Jason was not exerting effort into their relationship.
Jason for his part realized his girlfriend’s complaints and eventually went inside the house to visit her. In a separate interview, he also clarified that he was not jealous of Daniel and that he loves Vicky very much.
6. Stars enter Big Brother’s House. During the course of the show, some of ABS-CBN’s leading stars visited the housemates. Comedian Vice Ganda entered the house to talk to the housemates about facing criticism. Sana Bukas Pa Ang Kahapon stars Bea Alonzo and Paulo Avelino also entered the yellow house for an acting task with the housemates.
Hawak Kamay actor Piolo Pascual also entered the house to the delight of the housemates, where he was asked to take part in a game and facilitate the housemate’s activity for the YOLO (You Only Live Once) portion.
Other stars such as Judy Ann Santos, Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla also entered the house to facilitate tasks by Big Brother to the housemates. Kpop star Sandara Park even dropped by to pay a visit to the housemates, who welcomed her with open arms.
7. #PBBDirectorsCut - Direk Cathy Garcia-Molina coaches the housemates for audition. In what is one of the housemates’ most difficult challenges yet, She’s Dating the Gangster director Cathy Garcia Molina entered the house to coach them on their audition pieces for a movie she will direct, with them as the stars.
In the episode which aired last August 15, she told the remaining housemates to bare themselves to her, telling them “I’ve seen people and I know when they lie.”
It proved to be a big challenge, with Direk Cathy walking out on them after she discovered they did not do their homework. The short film Endless was eventually shown on television, Saturday, August 16.
8. Maris Racal’s parents get married inside Kuya’s House. On August 18, housemate Maris Racal told Kuya about her feelings when she found out that her parents were not married and have been living together all these years. Maris for her part believes that it is a sin, since they were not married.
On Tuesday, August 19, the housemates including Maris were asked to dress up for a wedding. Maris was surprised when she saw her parents Henry and Leony exchange their vows with no less than Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista officiating the ceremony.
In the August 18 episode of the show, Maris’ father said that he and Maris’s mother have not shared a room in years, which strained their relationship. He assured his daughter that the family’s relationship will work out once everything is ironed out.
9. Jane Oineza celebrates debut. She maybe the most controversial housemate, but Jane Oineza was also able to celebrate big time. The housemates, together with her friends and family as well as the staff of the show, threw her a debutante party. Among those who came in to greet her on her birthday was La Salle’s Jeron Teng, who was believed to be courting her prior to entry to the PBB house.
10. Alex Gonzaga becomes a housemate for one month. During the first night of Pinoy Big Brother, the hosts, including Alex Gonzaga, were surprised when Alex was announced as the last housemate to enter Big Brother’s house.
During her stay at the house, Alex not only showed who she was, but the maturity she gained from interacting with the housemates. She re-entered the house twice to meet some of her good friends including Fifth Pagotan, with whom she became close during her stay.
Do you have any Pinoy Big Brother moment to share? Let us know below the comments.