MANILA, Philippines – An upcoming movie about the siege of Marawi City will tell the the "true story" of what happened, according to Robin Padilla, who will co-produce and likely star in the movie.
"Nagpapasalamat kami sa Panginoong Diyos at sa Armed Forces of the Philippines dahil ayos na po eh. Nakasundo na po kailangan mangyayari ang shooting," Robin told reporters after the press conference of Brand Pilipinas on Thursday, June 21.
(We thank God and the Armed Forces of the Philippines because everything's fixed. They were able to agree on when the shooting will start.)
"Nakakatuwa kasi lalabas na kung ano yung totoong nangyari. Mahirap kasi ang dami kuwento-kuwento lang. Ito ho talaga, at para manatili po sa atin ang aral kung ano ang binigay ng Marawi at huwag ma maulit," he added.
(I'm very happy because through this movie, the truth of what happened in Marawi will come out. It's difficult because so many stories have come out. We're doing this to make sure the lessons of Marawi stick with us so it doesn't happen again.)
A botched military and police raid on a long-wanted terrorist led to the attempted siege of Marawi City in May 2017. The war dragged on over several months as state forces tried to flush out members of pro-ISIS groups Abu Sayyaf under Isnilon Hapilon and Maute Group leader Omar Maute. (Documentary | Marawi: 153 days of war)
The movie will be produced by director Joyce Bernal and actor Piolo Pascual's Spring Films. (READ: Piolo Pascual observes Ramadan ahead of Marawi movie)
Robin and the team had earlier eyed young stars Joshua Garcia and Daniel Padilla to star in the movie but they are unable to.
"Meron naman nakuhang iba si Piolo dahil si Piolo naman, natutuwa ako siya talaga yung kumakausap," he said. (Piolo was able to get somebody else and I'm glad that he's the one talking to them.)
Robin said he's leaving movie casting and production details to Piolo while he focuses on the beneficiary of its proceeds, a housing project. – Rappler.com