6 things you should know about JoshLia's teleserye 'Ngayon at Kailanman'
MANILA, Philippines – After appearing in movies, the tandem of Joshua Garcia and Julia Barretto goes full blast on television in the teleserye Ngayon at Kailanman, which debuts on Monday, August 20.
With a cast of veterans and newbies, here's a few things to know about the show.
1. This is Julia and Joshua's first teleserye together. The tandem first came into people's consciousness via Vince, Kath, and James in 2016. This was followed by a commercial for a fastfood chain.
2. This is the second time Julia and Iza Calzado have played mother and daughter. Iza and Julia previously played the role of Julia's mom in A Love to Last. At the press conference of the show last Monday, August 13, Iza talked about acceptiing the role of a mom again.
"I feel quite young [to play a mother role]. But technically, I'm 36 already. So if I had them early on in life, Therese [Malvar, who she played mom to in Distance] pwede pa naman (is still possible). Julia's pushing it a little bit."
"I don't have children yet in real life. That's really where the uncomfortable feeling comes from because I ask myself, am I giving the right emotions as a mother? That's what I think of versus the vanity or the aspect of it na I'm to young to play a role of a mother. Because at the end of the day, I am an actress and part of that is doing a role," she said in a mix of English and Filipino.
In the show, she plays Rebecca, who falls in love with Rodrigo (TJ Trinidad). They live a simple life as a family, but things change when Rodrigo is called back by his family and tragedy strikes, forcing them to leave their daughter behind.
3. Different roles for Julia and Joshua. This time, Joshua and Julia's roles are reversed. Known for playing the girly roles onscreen, Julia's Eva is feisty and comes from a poor family. Joshua, meanwhile, plays Ino, whose family, the Cortes' are powerful and well-off.
Speaking about the role, Julia said: "Finally, nabigyan ako ng role na malayong-malayo po sa akin. How is it going to be different? I feel like the character itself is already different even without delivering...ibang-iba ang character ni Eva sa kay Zoey sa I Love You Hater."
(Finally, I was given a role that's so different from who I am. How is it different? I feel like the chacracter itself is already different without delivering... Eva's character is so far from Zoey in I Love You Hater.)
Julia said that unlike in her past roles, which she described as suttle and restrained, Eva in Ngayon at Kailanman is free-spirited, is more flamboyant, acts jologs, and is very loud.
4. Joshua worked on his English for his role. As Ino, Joshua must look the part of a rich kid. Since he's more comfortable speaking Filipino, he asked help from his castmates and a coach to help him improve his English through workshops.
Jameson Blake, who plays his brother in the show, said that he would teach Joshua English poems during their English-Filipino workshops. Joshua said that he's grateful to Star Creatives for providing a speech coach.
Iza commended Joshua for being honest about getting help. "I have to say congratulations for even being opened to being coached. Because there are some people who won't even want to be coached."
5. Prominent stars are part of the show. Aside from TJ Trinidad's guest apperance, other big names such Ronnie Lazaro will play the role of Christian Vasquez's father, while Dante Rivero plays TJ Trinidad's father.
Veteran actress Rosemarie Gil also appears in the show. Mercedes Cabral and Rio Locsin will also appear in the show.
6. Alice Dixson's return to ABS-CBN. Alice has been part of FPJ's Ang Probinsyano since her return to ABS-CBN but Ngayon at Kailanman is her comeback show in the network. Asked what will happen to her guest appearance in Probinsyano, she said that her main focus will be Ngayon at Kailanman and that they are fixing the schedules.
"This was pitched to me (Ngayon at Kailanman), the storyline was pitched to me late 2016. And that time, the casting was still a little bit different but the story is still the main," she said.
Alice said she's looking forward to shooting scenes, especially with Iza and Ina Raymundo, who will portray the mother figure of Julia's character Eva.
"I know we're gonna have fun on the set just like FPJ, light lang," she said.
Also in the cast are Dominic Ochoa, Christian Vasquez, and Joao Constancia.
Ngayon at Kailanman is directed by Mae Cruz-Alviar and Elfren Parpan Vibar. – Rappler.com