MANILA, Philippines – The second Manila edition of Madrid Fusión – what is touted to be the world’s most important international gastronomy congress – is set to happen on April 7 to 9 at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City.
Madrid Fusión is the only Asian edition of the congress which has been held annually in Madrid, Spain since 2003.
The first Madrid Fusión Manila celebrated the link between the cuisines of Spain and the Philippines under the theme “The Philippines and Spain: A 300-year Gastronomic Journey.”
Last year, the event brought together some of the most distinguished chefs, including Andoni Luis Aduriz (Mugaritz) and Elena Arzak (Arzak) from Spain, and those based in the Philippines, such as Margarita Fores and Chele Gonzales – both of whom won honors at the 2016 Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants.
This year, the scope expands to the rest of Asian region. In commemoration of the 450th anniversary of the Galleon Trade, Madrid Fusión 2016 looks at how cuisines in the East and West dialogue, under the theme “The Manila Galleon: East Meets West.”
At Madrid Fusión Manila 2016, several chefs from top restaurants in Asia, Europe, and the Americas will be sharing their knowledge in gastronomy today.
- Michael Aspiras (Philippines) – Scout’s Honor, Le Petit Soufflé, Garde Manger
- Kevin Cherkas (Indonesia) – Cuca
- Leah Cohen (United States) – Pig & Khao
- Amy Besa & Romy Dorotan (Philippines) – Purple Yam Manila & New York
- Yoshihiro Narisawa (Japan) – Narisawa
- Myke Sarthou (Philippines) – Alab
- David Thompson (Thailand) – Nahm
- Nurdin Topham (Hong Kong) – NUR
- Jungsik Yim (South Korea) – Jungsik
- Fernando Perez Arellano (Spain) – Zarana
- Ricard Camarena (Spain) – Ricard Camarena
- Jordi Butrón (Spain) – EspaiSucre
- Dani García (Spain) – Dani Garcia
- Ángel León (Spain) – Aponiente
- Virgilio Martínez (Peru) – Central
- Enrique Olvera (Mexico) – Pujol
- Joan Roca (Spain) – El Cellar de Can Roca
- Jorge Vallejo (Mexico) – Quintonil
Some of these top chefs will be serving special dinners in Dinner with the Stars:
- Dani Garcia at New World Manila Bay Hotel (April 4 & 5)
1588 Pedro Gil Corner MH Del Pilar, Malate, Manila
- 4 Hand Dinner Aboard the Flavor Galleon with William Mahi and Jung Sik Kim at The Tasting Room, City of Dreams Manila (April 8, 7:00pm)
Aseana Avenue corner Macapagal Ave., Entertainment City, Roxas Blvd, Paranaque City
- 3 Cultures, 3 Chefs, 1 Evening: Bridging Cultures Through Food – 6-Hands Dinner at Gallery Vask
- Yoshihiro Narisawa (Narisawa – Tokyo, Japan), Virgilio Martinez (Central – Lima, Peru), and Chele Gonzales (Gallery Vask – Manila, Philippines) (April 9, 8pm)
- Jorge Vallejo (Quintonil – Mexico City, Mexico), Jung Sik Yim (Jungsik – Seoul, South Korea), and Chele Gonzales (Gallery Vask – Manila, Philippines) (April 10, 8pm)
5/F Clipp Center, 11th Ave corner 39th St Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City
0917 546 1673
- Kevin Cherkas at Sage Bespoke Grill
Ayala Ave corner Makati Ave, Makati City
813 8888 extension 7023
SM Supermalls will also hold “Fusion Flavors” to bring the Madrid Fusión experience to customers at 24 participating SM malls around the Philippines, from March 28 to April 15.
Dubbed “Epicurious,” culinary demonstrations by chefs from Salon de The, Vikings, Todd English, Ogetsu Hime, and Café Laguna will be held at SM Aura Premier (March 29), SM Megamall (March 31), and SM Cebu (April 7).
Weekend markets will also put the limelight on Asian and European cuisine at SM Southmall (April 2-3) and SM Mall of Asia (April 8-10). – Rappler.com