What does the Year of the Water Snake hold for you?
MANILA, Philippines - The Year of the Water Snake is considered the "year of the flying star" and yearly afflictions.
Internationally-renowned feng shui expert Marites Allen said on Friday, February 8, this means that while it is the year of new beginnings, it is also the year of illnesses, particularly for matriarchs.
Allen added that career changes are not advised this year but getting married and getting into relationships are good ideas.
The Year of the Water Snake is a good year for travelling, especially during certain times of the year, depending on each person's sign and destination.
"We cannot rely on a general forecast, we always refer to (our signs) because we have our own forecast. Some people go to the extent of getting a personal forecast," Allen said.
In terms of the signs, Allen said the luckiest for 2013 are those born in the year of the Ox, or those born 1913, 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, and 2009.
The "unlucky" ones are those born in the years of the Pig/Boar: 1911, 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, and 2007.
Those born on the year of the Ox are now aged 100, 88, 76, 64, 52, 40, 28, 16, and 4.
Those born in the year of the Boar/Pig are aged 102, 90, 78, 66, 54, 42, 30, 18, and 6.
Allen said the Year of the Water Snake for those born in the year of the Ox could be a "breakthrough year." This means that those born under this sign should do everything to take advantage of this good fortune through good feng shui and hard work. Allen stressed that this forecast is something that comes only once every 9 years.
For those born under the year of the Boar/Pig, Allen said this not a good year since the Boar is in conflict with the Snake. This means that the Boar needs to protect himself/herself, especially in the "bad" month of September. The good months for the Boar are June and August.
"The animal sign that is considered to really make it this year is the Ox, because people born under this sign have the so-called 'wealth star' for the year."
"The opportunities are really strong; the health is strong. In terms of business expansion, business ventures, it's there for them to enjoy. They are the star of the year," Allen said.
"The sign that has to be careful is the Boar. The boar is in conflict with the snake. And so I always say that this is the time for them to take it easy, do a lot of charity work and, at the same time, this is the time for them to do something different from the normal things that they do.
"During a conflict year, I went on a pilgrimage. I went to see the Dalai Lama. (It's like you) pay it forward so that the bad luck of the year will not catch up with you," she explained.
The bad luck of a year is something that everyone can counter, said Allen. There are amulets and figurines such as the Rhino statue that could serve as wealth protection.
She added that bad luck can also be countered through a change in attitude like being more positive in your outlook in life and having a better self-image.
For the other animal signs, here are Allen's forecasts:
Year of the Rat - 1912, 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, and 2008
- Those born under this sign are the second luckiest in 2013
- This is "a year full of promise" for the Rat with possible promotions and opportunities to go into business or expand their existing business
- Their relationships are also expected to bloom and they will also enjoy good health
Year of the Tiger - 1914, 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, and 2010
- Allen said the prosperity that the Tiger enjoyed in 2012 will likely continue in 2013
- However, this year, the Tiger sits on a "robbery star" which means they have a higher chance of getting robbed of their wealth or other assets
- She advised that Tigers keep their most precious belongings close to them
- This is especially important because they can be betrayed by a friend or somebody close to them this year
Year of the Rabbit - 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, and 2011
- Rabbits in the Year of the Water Snake will be "angry and hostile" and could be prone to losses
- They are also vulnerable to illness and accidents
- This is because the Rabbit now sits not only on an "argument star" but also a "natural disaster star" which could lead to accidents while traveling or even lose their good reputation
- Allen advises rabbits to also spend some time alone in quiet reflection to avoid clashes
Year of the Dragon - 1916, 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, and 2012
- From a tumultuous year in 2012, Dragons can breathe a sigh of relief as the Year of the Water Snake brings them some reprieve from their misfortunes
- This year, Allen said Dragons can expect "amazing success and luck"
- However, Allen said they should watch out for gossiping and backstabbing
Year of the Snake - 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, and 2013
- Allen said Snakes will enjoy good relationships and new sources of income this year
- The health of the Snake, however, will be weak this year
- They will have a tendency to look down on themselves this year
- Allen said Snakes should try to adopt a positive outlook about life and of themselves this year
- They, she said, have good opportunities especially where wealth is concerned so the Snakes must take advantage of this by believing in themselves more
Year of the Horse - 1918, 1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, and 2002
- Horses this year are very lucky in love
- Allen said they "become magnetic" in terms of love and romance
- Those who have partners or are married to Horses must also keep their partners and spouses in check because of the attractiveness of the Horse this year
Year of the Sheep - 1919, 1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, and 2003
- Allen said the unlucky streak of the Sheep will continue this year, unfortunately
- This is just temporary as 2014 will be the banner year for the Sheep
- She said that Sheeps must just hang on and do their best this year
- In terms of love, Allen said relationships with Sheeps will be "moody" this year
- Sheeps have better wealth prospects this year
Year of the Monkey - 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, and 2004
- The luck of Monkeys this year will be average but their wealth prospects will improve
- The Monkey will also be one of the unlucky ones in terms of health and afflictions
- Chances are, Allen said, they have started feeling the bad health vibes as early as 3 weeks before, in the same way that other unlucky signs this year have begun to feel their strength draining
- But it's not all gloom and doom for Monkeys as they will have an "unexpected success" in the Year of the Water Snake
Year of the Rooster - 1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, and 2005
- Roosters will still have wealth this year and their health will also improve this year
- But Allen cautions them not to be too trusting as they are in danger of being cheated on
- She explained that since the Rooster had the wealth star in 2012, it would mean that in the following year, which is 2013, they will sit on the robbery star
- This makes them prone to losing the wealth they accumulated in the past year
Year of the Dog - 1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, and 2006
- After a really bad 2012, Allen said Dogs will have a better year this year
- They will be lucky financially and will experience an improvement in their health
- Dogs are also bound to enjoy a "wonderful" relationship in the year of the Water Snake