10 lessons we can learn from 'Star Wars'
MANILA, Philippines - We all know the Star Wars saga is chock-full of nuggets of wisdom. On Star Wars Day, we look back on some of our favorite lines and the lessons they offer.
1. Only a Sith deals in absolutes. – Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan says this after Anakin tells him "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." Sometimes the people who care about us won't necessarily agree with things our way but it doesn't mean they're necessarily out to get us.
2. Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him? – Obi-Wan Kenobi
Don't follow blindly. Pick your leaders carefully and take everything with a grain of salt.
3. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless. – Yoda
Stay focused on the tasks and goals at hand. Take things one step at a time and commit to them. The future will take care of itself.
4. Search your feelings. – Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Emperor Palpatine have said this at various occasions and in different contexts.
It's easy to get overwhelmed whenever we're faced with tough decisions. It pays to sit yourself down, acknowledge and address your emotions instead of giving in to them.
5. Strike me down, and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. – Obi-Wan Kenobi
Find strength, lessons in your failures and weaknesses to be better than you were before.
6. Wars not make one great. – Yoda
Yoda says this after Luke tells him he is looking for a great warrior. Yoda reminds us that there is nothing to be proud of with conflict.
7. Yoda: That place... is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go.
Luke: What's in there?
Yoda: Only what you take with you.
Oftentimes our greatest enemies lie within ourselves. The negativity we bring into any situation or obstacle we face is what drags us down. Ultimately, what you find and accomplish depends on what you bring with you.
8. All mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than we would like. It's the only way we grow. – Padmé Amidala
Constructive criticism is always helpful. If we aren't aware of our weaknesses, how do we expect to improve?
9. Never tell me the odds! – Han Solo
Take it from the captain of the Millennium falcon: There's no such thing as impossible. Even if yes, the odds are against you.
10. Yeah, I’m responsible now, the price you pay for being successful. – Lando Calrissian
Responsibility goes hand in hand with success. Being a leader also means being accountable for your actions and the people under your command.
What are your favorite Star Wars quotes? Let us know in the comments below! And don't forget to celebrate the fact that the new Star Wars movie, Episode VII, is on the way, with the main cast recently revealed. Get to know the cast here, and may the Force be with you. – Rappler.com