MANILA, Philippines – Miss Universe Philippines 2014 Mary Jean Lastimosa has spoken up about her relationship with Binibining Pilipinas Charities Incorporated chairperson Stella Araneta, the national costume controversy, and her stint at the Miss Universe pageant.
About them all, she had nothing but good things to say.
Appearing before the media Thursday, January 29, MJ said that since the national costume portion is not included in the scoring, the Panagbenga-inspired dress wasn’t the reason why she lost.
Watch her address the national costume issue here:
MJ’s national costume caused quite a stir on social media, with many expressing their dismay over Alfredo Barraza’s dress. Stella Araneta defended the costume, saying she turned to foreign designers because she was not happy with the designs presented to her in the Philippines.
MJ also defended Stella after Stella was criticized by social media users for her comments, saying that Stella was “like a mother” to her. (READ: Thoughts on MJ Lastimosa’s Miss Universe gowns)
Social media users and pageant fans also reacted negatively to MJ’s white evening gown, also by the Colombian designer Barraza. There were also rumors that Stella was unhappy with MJ, insisting that MJ wear the white gown.
MJ appeared at one of the rehearsal events in a pink gown by Filipino designer Leo Almodal, but ultimately wore the white Barraza piece at the coronation night.
Watch MJ talk about her relationship with Stella Araneta here:
MJ told reporters that ultimately, the decision about which gown to wear would fall to the “boss” of operations – Stella Araneta. “Kahit anong binigay nila sa akin, I’m gonna rock it. I’m confidently beautiful and I know that whatever I wear, I’m gonna look beautiful on that stage. ‘Yun lang laging iniisip ko.”
(Whatever they give me, I’m gonna rock it. I’m confidently beautiful and I know that whatever I wear, I’m gonna look beautiful on that stage. That’s all I’m thinking about.)
MJ entered the top 15 and then the top 10 of the competition. Colombia’s Paulina Vega won the Miss Universe crown. Read the full recap of the coronation night here. – Rappler.com
More MJ Lastimosa and Miss Universe 2014 on Rappler:
- FULL RECAP: Miss Universe 2014-2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa’s journey to Miss Universe pageant
- Despite Miss Universe loss, Miss PH MJ Lastimosa grateful, ‘filled with love’
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night
- Miss Colombia Paulina Vega crowned Miss Universe, full list of winners
- Miss PH MJ Lastimosa fails to make it to top 5 of Miss Universe
- MJ Lastimosa among top 15 at Miss Universe 2014
- Miss Universe 2014 predictions: Will MJ Lastimosa win for PH?
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa’s national costume at Miss Universe
- Stella Araneta defends MJ Lastimosa’s national costume
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa shines at Miss Universe preliminaries
- WATCH: MJ Lastimosa ready to rep PH in Miss Universe pageant
- PHOTO RECAP: 63rd Miss Universe preliminary competition
- PHOTOS: MJ Lastimosa’s Bb Pilipinas 2014 journey
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.