How to recreate your favorite Met Gala 2018 hairstyles
MANILA, Philippines – We’re still reeling from all the gorgeous looks served at the 2018 Met Gala, where the stars donned elegant gowns and delicate halos for this year’s theme, “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination.”
Feeling inspired to wear your own halo (or Pope hat if Riri’s outfit was more your vibe) to your next big event?
Below, Dyson tells us how 6 celebrity hairstylists achieved their clients’ red carpet hair.
Have fun recreating your own heavenly hairstyle!
Hailey Baldwin, hair by Jen Atkin
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Volume Spray.
- Blowdry using the new Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with styling concentrator on medium heat and medium airflow with a Christophe Robin boar bristle brush.
- Add a loose bend with a 1.25 inch Hot Tools Marcel iron.
- Use OUAI Texturizing Hairspray throughout.
- The Hair Shop clip in extensions pre colored by Ryan Pearl.
- Jeff Leatham designed fresh flowers and Jennifer Behr circlet crown.
- Fill in part with Anastasia pro brow palette.
- Set the look with Verb Strong Hairspray.
Kendall Jenner, hair by Jen Atkin
- Prep damp hair with OUAI Leave in Conditioner on roots and OUAI Air Dry Foam on ends.
- Extensions by Tokyo Blowdry using new Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition and Diffuser on low heat and low Airflow.
- Curl using a Sarah Potempa Beachwaver.
- Use OUAI Dry Texture Foam throughout the ends.
- Curl using a Sarah Potempa Beachwaver.
- Use a black bungee band to secure a low ponytail and wrap with black fabric wrap.
- Use Tancho Stick Hair Styling Balm for fly aways.
Bella Hadid, hair by Jen Atkin
- Prep damp hair with Ouai Leave in Conditioner.
- Blow dry using the new Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition with styling concentrator nozzle on medium heat and medium air flow setting with Harry Josh brush.
- Using Ouai Matte Pomade mixed with rose hair and body oil.
- Brush hair into a ponytail with a barbers brush and secure with bungee band.
- Attach the Hair Shop clip in hair extensions to pony, wrap into two strand twist and secure with French hair pins.
- Fill in part with Anastasia Pro Brow Palette.
- Spray down any flyaways with toothbrush and Paul Mitchell Extra Body Finishing Spray.
Evan Rachel Wood, hair by John Dahlstrom
The inspiration: “The concept for hair her look tonight came from the design of the outfit itself. Evan wore a gold cape made of individually hand-beaded feathers. The cape cascaded down her back and had a slight train that split to reveal the shape of wings. Under the cape she wore a black jumpsuit.”
- First, prep clean, towel-dried hair using Tresemme Tres Two Mousse applying it to the roots and mid lengths.
- Next, apply small amount Tres Pre Styling Spray to the ends. The mousse provides grip and memory and the spray smooth the ends.
- Then, dry hair using the new Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition and part in center using medium heat and low airflow, which helps dry hair smoothly and super fast.
- Once hair is dry, pull it back to the nap of the neck and secure with a hair elastic.
- After that, twist hair into a bun and secure using a few hairbands and bobby pins.
- To finish the look, use a good spritz of the Tresemme Micro Mist Hairspray #4, which secures hair into place without any stiffness!
- After all is set, place the Epona Valley crescent moon clip in just around the bun. The final look is glowing and gorgeous, aka "heavenly."
Pro-Tip: For added smoothness, spray the Tresemme Micro Mist onto the tail of comb and run the tail of the comb over the sides of the hair. This keeps from any snags or lines that may arise when using a brush or teeth of the comb.
Kim Kardashian, hair by Chris Appleton
- To combat humidity, prep hair by applying Color Wow’s Dream Coat Anti-Humidity Hair Treatment through wet hair to make sure hair stays frizz-free and glossy on the red carpet.
- Next, blow dry hair using the new Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition and a large bristle brush to ensure a smooth finish and add bounce to the ends of the hair.
- Then, using a 3-inch curling iron, take large sections, bending the ends for extra movement and shine.
- Next, using a bristle brush, take the hair into a half-up, high pony. Once hair is secured, spray a toothbrush with Color Wow’s Cult Favorite Firm + Flexible Hairspray and brush back all flyaways around the hairline.
- To finish, add jewelry for the ultimate ‘90s vibe’ glam!
Pro-Tip: Gather the hair from the front of the ear to the crown so you don’t add too much hair and the pony sits flat.
Solange, hair by Jawara
S A I N T H E R O N @saintrecords for the 2018 MET GALA. Styled by @kyleluu | make by @danadelaney | manicure by @pipbuzzz | halo frame by @crowezilla | hair and hand HAIR braided Halo by me using @phytousa products and @dysonhair blow dryer on hair and headpiece. #dysonhair #blackmadonna #braidedheadpiece #phytospecificusa #hairbyjawara @bryantartists #stillgodsplanthough #fortheculture #mygodwearsadurag
- Start by washing and deep conditioning hair with the color-enhancing Phytomillesime Mask and Phytobaume Volume Conditioner, infusing it into the scalp, followed with the Phytomillesime Shampoo to complete the process and lock in both color and volume.
- Then, cocktail a mixture of 3 serums – the Phyto Specific Curl Legend Spray, Phytoelixir Subtle Oil, and the Phyto Huile Soyeuse for moisture, nutrition and hydration – which creates an ideal and lightweight base.
- From here, use the diffuser attachment on the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition to remove water and allow the product to dry with minimal frizz.
- Once hair feels in a good place, finish with the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition and apply the Phytolisse Ultra-Glossing Finishing Serum to soften and tame the look before cornering and adhering head piece.
- Finish with another generous application of the Phytoelixir Subtle Oil all over.
- Finally, tie the hair down, and dry it with the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition.
Rihanna, hair by Yusef Williams
The inspiration: “John Galliano is the inspiration of all inspiration. For this look, I wanted to go back in time and create this Vatican-homage, but with a single finger wave to make it feel modern and more avant-garde.”
- Begin with wet hair and blow dry on high heat using the new Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition.
- Once dry, use the Phyto Specific Curl Legend Spray to hydrate before pulling the hair into a pony.
- Then use the Phyto Professional Workable Holding Spray and Fiber Paste and continue drying hair.
- You don’t even need a flat iron because the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition is so good. From here, create finger waves on either side of face, using the flat iron to create the flat waves.
- Then, brush out using a fine tail comb, locking in the shape with the Phyto Professional Workable Holding Spray.
Cardi B, hair by Tokyo Stylez
- Prep hair with Avlon Kera Care Foam Wrap-Set Lotion.
- Blow dry with a round brush on high heat using the new Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition.
- Use a 1/2 inch curling wand to style hair using OGX Shimmering Keratin Oil to give the hair shine.
- Use a paddle brush to blow try again with the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer professional edition to give a nice flowy kinky textured look.
- Finish the look with Paul Mitchell INVISIBLEWEAR Undone Texture Hairspray and Pantene Pro-V Hairspray to lock in the style.