Rajo Laurel's take on Miss Universe national costume
MANILA, Philippines – After many expressed dissatisfaction with the national costume worn by Mary Jean Lastimosa at the 63rd Miss Universe pageant, prominent designer Rajo Laurel shared a drawing of the costume he might have had in mind, given the chance.
“What if I were to do our national costume for our candidate for the #MissUniverse? I would be inspired by our nations fiestas, like the Ati-Atihan, I would take it from there and modernize it. Perhaps it would look something like this,” he wrote.
Many of Rajo’s followers commented that the design was beautiful and that he should try to provide the representatives with his creations.
After MJ's outfit, a creation by Colombian designer Alfredo Barraza, was poorly received, Filipino audiences, including actress Ruffa Gutierrez and designer Cary Santiago, remarked that it was time for Filipino designs to shine.
Binibining Pilipinas Charities Incorporated chairperson Stella Marquez Araneta defended the outfit, but said that she was open to using Filipino creations in the future.
At the pageant's coronation night on Sunday, January 25 (January 26, Manila) MJ entered the Top 15 and Top 10, but failed to make it to the Top 5. Colombia’s Paulina Vega was crowned Miss Universe. – Rappler.com
- FULL RECAP: Miss Universe 2014-2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa's journey to Miss Universe pageant
- Despite Miss Universe loss, Miss PH MJ Lastimosa grateful, 'filled with love'
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night
- Miss Colombia Paulina Vega crowned Miss Universe, full list of winners
- Miss PH MJ Lastimosa fails to make it to top 5 of Miss Universe
- MJ Lastimosa among top 15 at Miss Universe 2014
- Miss Universe 2014 predictions: Will MJ Lastimosa win for PH?
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa’s national costume at Miss Universe
- Stella Araneta defends MJ Lastimosa’s national costume
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa shines at Miss Universe preliminaries
- WATCH: MJ Lastimosa ready to rep PH in Miss Universe pageant
- PHOTO RECAP: 63rd Miss Universe preliminary competition
- PHOTOS: MJ Lastimosa’s Bb Pilipinas 2014 journey