Ms PH Earth 2013: Pageant of firsts

MANILA, Philippines - With the weather bureau’s temperature forecast on the expected high side, the pool area of the F1 Hotel Manila at The Fort Bonifacio Global City in Taguig City grew even hotter as spectators, guests, and members of the entertainment press welcomed the candidates of Miss Philippines-Earth 2013.

On a warm Thursday night last May 9, the 48 candidates from all over the Philippines sashayed on the wood-paneled deck dressed in pristine white ensembles--from sweet and flirty cocktail dresses to full-on dramatic gowns.

FLUSHED. Lovely Miss PH Earth 2013 candidates enjoy the party and look forward to coronation night on May 19

FLUSHED.

Lovely Miss PH Earth 2013 candidates enjoy the party and look forward to coronation night on May 19

Carrying solar-powered lamps and flashlights from Tanglaw Solar Light Products, the candidates had a ethereal glow as they each took to the stage to introduce themselves, their city or province of origin, as well as their support for this year’s theme of water cooperation.

Lorraine Schuck, executive vice-president of pageant organizer Carousel Productions, Inc. told Rappler that “water cooperation is a global theme this year being promoted by the United Nations. And with the country’s problem with scarcity of clean water, we decided to adopt it.”

GET THE PARTY STARTED. Miss Philippines Earth 2012 winner Stephany Stefanowitz addresses this year's candidates

GET THE PARTY STARTED.

Miss Philippines Earth 2012 winner Stephany Stefanowitz addresses this year's candidates

She adds, “There are a lot of places that need clean water. And we hope to work something out with the Philippine government to bring clean water to these places around the country.”

After the introduction of each candidate, several of the ladies were paired with guests and participated in a trivia contest about the Miss Philippines-Earth pageant. That evening, the F1 Hotel Manila also crowned its newest ambassador, Miss Caloocan City, Eva Eunice Reinoso.

AMBASSADOR. Miss Caloocan City, Eva Eunice Reinoso, is named F1 Hotel Manila Ambassador

AMBASSADOR.

Miss Caloocan City, Eva Eunice Reinoso, is named F1 Hotel Manila Ambassador

Pageant of firsts

According to Schuck, this year’s pageant, which will culminate on Sunday, May 19, at the Mall of Asia Arena, will be different from previous years because of many firsts it will celebrate.

The 2013 Miss Philippines Earth pageant will be the first pageant ever to feature a hologram stage and an inverted pyramid stage. These new innovations in stage design will definitely create a whole new experience for audiences and the candidates themselves.

A LIGHT MOMENT. Miss Zamboanga Nancy Leonard enjoys her drink

A LIGHT MOMENT.

Miss Zamboanga Nancy Leonard enjoys her drink

It will also be the first time for a pageant to have all-girl hosts. The main host for the event will be 2006 Miss Philippines Earth Air Ginger Conejero who will be assisted by co-hosts Sandra Inez Seifert (2009 Miss Philippines Earth winner) and Karla Paula Henry (2008 Miss Philippines Earth and Miss Earth winner).

And who will carry the burden of choosing a winner from the 48 lovely candidates?

This year's panel of judges is composed of environmentalists, media executives, diplomats, talent managers and celebrities.

The candidates will be judged according to a criteria that allots 60% to beauty, face, poise and figure and the remaining 40% to intelligence, personality and attitude.

Excited for Miss PH Earth coronation night on May 19? Tell us who you think should win by voting for your favorite candidate on Rappler! You can share us your best bets on who will win "Most Photogenic," "Best in Cultural Costume" and "Best in Swimwear."

To see how all candidates are doing in terms of Rappler votes, check out the Live Poll Results pageRappler.com

Pia Ranada

Pia Ranada covers the Office of the President and Bangsamoro regional issues for Rappler. While helping out with desk duties, she also watches the environment sector and the local government of Quezon City. For tips or story suggestions, you can reach her at pia.ranada@rappler.com.

image