Miss Spain wins Miss World 2015
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Spanish model Mireia Lalaguna was crowned Miss World 2015 after beating out 113 contestants from across the globe on Saturday night at a coastal resort city in south China's Hainan Province.
The pharmacy student from Barcelona claimed the illustrious crown after winning over the contest's judges during the 65th edition of the world famous pageant in China's Sanya.
"Without the love I have received from all of the people I have met here, and from all of the people wishing me well and supporting me at home, I would never have gotten to this point," said the beauty queen, according to a statement released by the event's organizers.
"I want to show them and the world that I am deserving of the Miss World title and I hope to do everyone proud."
The pageant's second place was awarded to Russia's Sofia Nikitchuk, while third place went to Indonesia's Maria Harfanti.
However, the ceremony was not without controversy. Officials in Hong Kong last month stopped Miss Canada, Anastasia Lin, from boarding a plane bound for Sanya, telling her she would not receive a visa.
The 25-year old actress claimed the decision was due to her stance on China's human rights record, including its persecution of Falun Gong, a Chinese spiritual group of which she is a practitioner.
PH makes top 10
Meanwhile, Miss World Philippines representative Hillarie Parungao was among the Top 10 contestants who made it to the semifinal, but failed to make it to the Top 5. (READ: Miss World PH Hillarie Parungao in Top 10 of final)
Aside from getting into the Top 10, Hillarie won the Multimedia challenge, a new challenge in the Miss World Pageant. The winner of this challenge has a holistic understanding of all forms of media, and can gather support for her cause by connecting to her fanbase.
The event was hosted by Miss World 2013 Megan Young, Access Hollywood presenter Tim Vincent, and TV host Angela Chow.
Here are the Top 5 candidates who made it to the semifinal:
After each candidate was announced, they each explained why they deserved to be Miss World.
Miss Spain answered, "I believe in a strong winner, I think I have something inside my heart that I can show the world." – with reports from AFP/Rappler.com
More Miss World 2015 on Rappler:
- Megan Young to host Miss World 2015 in Sanya, China
- Miss World PH Hillarie Parungao in Top 10 of final
- FULL LIST: Winners, Miss World Philippines 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2015 candidates
- Hillarie Danielle Parungao crowned Miss World Philippines 2015
- Photo recap: Miss World Philippines coronation night 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2015 swimsuit competition
- Search for Miss World Philippines 2015 begins
- Miss World Philippines 2015 predictions: Get ready for a close race
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2015 evening gown competition
- Miss World PH 2015 Hillarie Danielle Parungao on her pageant victory
- Miss World PH 2015 Hillarie Danielle Parungao weighs in on China-PH ties
To greater exploration
Our Life & Style section is dedicated to exploring everyday life – from career and relationships to fashion, travel, and culture.
We want to tell more stories that enable and empower your lifestyle. However, we need reader support.
By joining Rappler PLUS, you will get exclusive event invites, industry reports, and Rappler Shop discounts.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.