Photo recap: 63rd Miss Universe preliminary competition
MANILA, Philippines – The Miss Universe preliminary competition was held Wednesday, January 21 (January 22 in Manila), giving audiences a treat for the coronation night to be held in just a few days.
Here’s a recap of the events:
The program began with a first turn around the stage, with the 88 contestants emerging in colorful, casual day dresses and then introducing themselves in small groups.
The preliminary judges, inclding Azucena Cierco, Lloyd Boston, Corinne Nicolas (president of Trump Model Management), 1992 Miss Universe Michelle McLean Bailey, Access Hollywood New York bureau head Jeneine Doucette-White, Global sales executive for Delta Tyler Tixier, entertainment lawyer Jimmy Nguyen.
The ladies then took to the stage in their evening gowns, as hosts Gabriela Isler and Roxanne Vargas introduced them with a short description. Miss France, for example, lost her father to cancer and has since made it her mission to ease the journey for those with the disease. Miss Indonesia helped out her disaster-struck country by raising funds.
Here are just a few screengrabs from this stage:
Miss Philippines MJ Lastimosa got loud cheers from the crowd, as hosts said she loved to travel alone and discover new cultures. She stunned in an intricate white gown. Watch her video interview with Rappler here.
The ladies are passionate about various causes – from Ebola awareness and prevention to children’s welfare to women’s rights.
In between the evening gown and swimsuit competitions, reigning Miss Universe Gabriela Isler talked about her work with Cordaid to aid victims of Typhoon Yolanda (international name: Haiyan), which she had spoken about during her previous visit to the Philippines.
A feature followed on the host city, Doral, Miami in the United States, and then there was a look back on the reign of Miss Universe 2013 Gabriela Isler.
Soon, it was time for the swimsuit competition. More trivia about the contestants followed. Miss Bahamas, for example, was once part of a reality competition. Miss Chile’s family lives on a farm, and in, the words of the hosts, is completely “self-sufficent,” growing their own food.
Miss Colombia is apparently a huge fan of Colombian-American Modern Family acress Sofia Vergara. Miss Lithuania is said to have such small feet that she often purchases shoes from the children's section!
Here are some screengrabs from the swimsuit round:
- FULL RECAP: Miss Universe 2014-2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa's journey to Miss Universe pageant
- Despite Miss Universe loss, Miss PH MJ Lastimosa grateful, 'filled with love'
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night
- Miss Colombia Paulina Vega crowned Miss Universe, full list of winners
- Miss PH MJ Lastimosa fails to make it to top 5 of Miss Universe
- MJ Lastimosa among top 15 at Miss Universe 2014
- Miss Universe 2014 predictions: Will MJ Lastimosa win for PH?
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa’s national costume at Miss Universe
- Stella Araneta defends MJ Lastimosa’s national costume
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa shines at Miss Universe preliminaries
- WATCH: MJ Lastimosa ready to rep PH in Miss Universe pageant
- PHOTO RECAP: 63rd Miss Universe preliminary competition
- PHOTOS: MJ Lastimosa’s Bb Pilipinas 2014 journey