WATCH: Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina's winning response in Bb Pilipinas Q&A
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – All the ladies of this year's Binibining Pilipinas dazzled in their production number and showed how fabulous they could be in their swimsuits and evening gowns at the coronation night on Sunday, April 17, at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
After this, 15 top candidates were selected, and they fielded tough questions from this year's board of judges for the much-anticipated question and answer (Q&A) portion.
Among the ladies, Maxine stood out with her response, and was crowned Miss Universe Philippines later in the evening. Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach herself turned over her crown. (FULL LIST: Winners, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night)
She was asked by ABS-CBN chief operating officer (COO) Cory Vidanes, "Even if her parents want to send her to school, a 15-year-old girl wants to stop her studies, what would be your advice to her?"
"I would tell the girl to study hard, no matter what their parents would tell them," Maxine answered, as she stumbled a bit at one point: "Because having an education is something that… something that… cannot have that anybody else [sic]..."
She follows up, "Education can make you an even better person. Thank you."
Her response elicited mixed reactions from viewers and netizens, but many congratulated her for getting the night's highest honor, too.
Yung mananalo sa Bb. Pilipinas Universe parang pagibig kala mo sya na pero hindi pala!— jose marie viceral (@vicegandako) April 17, 2016
One Facebook commenter wrote, "She may have not been on point with her answer but that may just be because of stage fright. Y'all should give her credit since it's her first time. She can definitely get better with proper training. So stop the hate."
Another said, "Remember last year when [Wynwyn] delivered her answer much better than Pia. But who conquered the universe? It was Queen [Pia]. Let's be positive and hope for the best for our new queens and future international title holders."
What do you think of Maxine's answer? Sound off in the comments below. – Rappler.com
- Maxine Medina crowned Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- FULL LIST: Winners, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Photo recap: Highlights, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's emotional speech at Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's farewell walk at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- WATCH: Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina's Bb Pilipinas Q&A
- WATCH: The moment Maxine Medina became Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 evening gown competition at coronation night
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 swimsuit competition at coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Stars at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Predictions and live blog:
- Bb Pilipinas 2016 predictions: Who will follow Pia Wurtzbach?
- LIVE UPDATES: Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
Leading up to coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: 40 Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates walk the runway at press presentation
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 official swimsuit photos
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas talent show 2016
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 national costume competition
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates in casual wear fashion show
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 Parade of Beauties
Get to know the ladies
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the candidates of Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- FULL LIST: Binibining Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- Pia Wurtzbach's advice for Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's sassy assessment of Bb Pilipinas 2016 hopefuls
- WATCH: 'Star-struck' Pia Wurtzbach meets Manny Pacquiao
- Pia Wurtzbach confirms she's dating Dr. Mike, shares more details
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares story behind famous 'Ako bahala, babawi tayo sa Miss U' tweet