8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental 2016 Jennifer Hammond
MANILA, Philippines – One of the surprises for pageant followers during Binibining Pilipinas last Sunday, April 17, was the win of 25-year-old Jennifer Hammond, who was crowned Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental by her predecessor Christi Lynn McGarry.
But many also believed that when Jennifer won the Best In Long Gown award, she also had the chance to grab a title – and true enough, she was crowned a queen.
Now, with Miss Intercontinental scheduled some time at end of this year, she could bring home what could be the Philippines' first crown from the pageant. Kris Tiffany Janson was second runner-up in 2014 while Christi Lynn McGarry was 1st runner-up in 2015.
Let's get to know more about the lady from Laguna.
1. She is a nurse by profession. According to her profile in the Bb Pilipinas website, Jennifer graduated cum laude in BS Nursing.
She also reached the top 20 in the nursing board exams, but she decided not to pursue a profession in the field.
In an interview on Tonight with Boy Abunda Thursday, April 21, Jennifer said that she took up Nursing upon the advice of her mom. She said, "I enjoyed because I think it's one of the most noble professions one could have."
UPDATE: In a Facebook chat with Rappler, Jennifer said that she spent her first 2 years in Manila Doctors College (now Manila Tytana Colleges) before finishing her studies at Perpetual Help in Laguna.
2. She is a member of PMAP. Jennifer definitely stands out with her looks. Like her batchmates Maxine Medina and Kylie Verzosa, Jennifer is also a member of the Professional Models Association of the Philippines.
3. She joined Miss World Philippines 2013. Prior to joining Bb Pilipinas, Jennifer tried out for Miss World Philippines 2013, where she was batchmates with Bb Pilipinas International 2014 Janicel Lubina and Miss World 2013 herself, Megan Young.
Jennifer's sister, Louvette Hammond-Fowler, was Mutya ng Pilipinas - World 1978.
4. She always wanted to experience being part of Bb Pilipinas. In a chat last April 1 at their Jag Jeans event in Cubao, Jennifer said that she always wanted to be a beauty queen, especially after Pia Wurtzbach's win in the national pageant and in Miss Universe 2015.
"After Pia joined – after she won – I said to myself, 'Every Filipina can do it also if Pia can,' I wanted to take my chance. That's why I joined," she said.
Aside from Pia, Jennifer looks up to Miss International 2013 Bea Rose Santiago for inspiration.
"Actually, my dream title is Miss International, and Bea won Miss International," Jennifer said. "I've met Bea a few times na (already), and I really admire her personality and I just really find her beautiful."
5. She has the "shortest" hair among the queens. There is a belief that long hair is prefered in pageants. But Jennifer sports a hairdo that's not too long and not too short.
Aces and Queens head Jonas Gaffud wrote on Instagram: "So happy for you Jennifer Hammond for winning Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental 2016. I was really worried about our decision for a short-hair-don't-care look.
"Remember in pageants, you don't need to always get extensions and sport a long hair to feel feminine and look like a queen."
So happy for you Jennifer Hammond for winning BbPilipinas Intercontinental 2016. I was really worried about our decision for a short hair don't care look. Hahaha. Remember in pageants, you don't need to always get extensions and sport a long hair to feel feminine and look like a queen. #shorthairdontcare #AcesandQueens
6. She's in a happy relationship. Aside from her family, one of Jennifer's most enthusiastic cheerleaders is her boyfriend Ryan Sy, who participated in the recent Century Tuna Superbods competition.
7. Jennifer and Bb Pilipinas Globe 2016 Nichole Manalo used to go to school together. Jennifer shared this information during the Bb Pilipinas live chat Friday, April 22.
"You know what, we went to the same school, Manila Doctor's College. We were batchmates. So iyon (there), we're close," she said.
8. On the toughest part of joining the pageant. In the same interview with Boy Abunda Thursday night, Jennifer admitted that she had to prove to everyone that she was worthy of a crown.
"The toughest part for me is that I'm not one of the favorites and I had to fight," she said.
"Malalaman mo [na hindi ka favorite] kasi merong Bb Pilipinas page and maraming nag-co-comment, maraming nag-chi-cheer for these candidates – the netizens. So I had to fight the feeling of [being] low," she added.
(You'll know you're not a favorite becase in the Bb Pilipinas page, there are many commenters, many cheer for their favorite candidates – the netizens.)
More Binibining Pilipinas 2016 on Rappler:
- Maxine Medina crowned Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- FULL LIST: Winners, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Photo recap: Highlights, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's emotional speech at Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's farewell walk at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- WATCH: Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina's Bb Pilipinas Q&A
- WATCH: The moment Maxine Medina became Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 evening gown competition at coronation night
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 swimsuit competition at coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Stars at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Predictions and live blog:
- Bb Pilipinas 2016 predictions: Who will follow Pia Wurtzbach?
- LIVE UPDATES: Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Kylie Verzosa tops Rappler poll on Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Leading up to coronation night:
- IN PHOTOS: 40 Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates walk the runway at press presentation
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 official swimsuit photos
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas talent show 2016
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 national costume competition
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates in casual wear fashion show
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 Parade of Beauties
Get to know the ladies:
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Grand International 2016 Nicole Cordoves
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas International 2016 Kylie Verzosa
- 9 fun facts: Miss Universe Philippines 2016 Maxine Medina
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the candidates of Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- FULL LIST: Binibining Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- Pia Wurtzbach's advice for Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's sassy assessment of Bb Pilipinas 2016 hopefuls
- WATCH: 'Star-struck' Pia Wurtzbach meets Manny Pacquiao
- Pia Wurtzbach confirms she's dating Dr. Mike, shares more details
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares story behind famous 'Ako bahala, babawi tayo sa Miss U' tweet