8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Supranational 2016 Joanna Eden
MANILA, Philippines – Hailing from Quezon, Joanna Eden is this year's Binibining Pilipinas Supranational, as well as Best in Swimsuit.
Now that she has her crown, Joanna has one goal – to bag a second Supranational crown for the country since Mutya Datul's win in 2013. Let's meet the girl ready to showcase her skills in Europe this year.
1. She is the youngest in this year's batch of queens. Joanna was 19 when she got the title of Bb Pilipinas Supranational last Sunday. Joanna turns 20 years old on April 24.
Asked about her birthday wish, Joanna said in an interview on Tonight with Boy Abunda: "I really want to win Supra for the Philippines. I really want to bring home the second crown."
2. She grew up in Australia. Joanna spent part of her life living in the land Down Under.
In her interview with pageant blogger Norman Tinio, Joanna briefly explained why havin lived in Australia can work as an advantage in the competition.
"I think growing up in Australia gives me an edge. All of my experiences, from the way I interacted with others as a child, to what I learnt in school differs from what the other ladies experienced here in the Philippines. It gives me a slightly different way of thinking, a different train of thought. It allowed me the privilege to experience both cultures. And because I have I can fully appreciate how at home I feel in Manila. I genuinely believe moving to the Philippines is what pushed me to become the woman I am today, the woman I am supposed to be," she said.
Trivia: According to Norman, Joanna is proud of her Lucban roots but is not happy about the slow Internet connection in the province.
3. She's very into music and can play two intruments. According to her Binibining Pilipinas profile, Joanna knows how to play the flute and saxophone. She is also currently a student at the De La Salle University, taking up International Studies, major in American studies.
4. Her special someone is a pilot and national athlete. Aside from her family, Joanna counts her boyfriend Jose Sacro Unso, a pilot and a national athlete as one of her most dedicated supporters.
Prior to her win, he posted this message: "I'm already proud of you. Whatever you do in that stage tonight will just be bonus. Go get em' babe! #bbp13#bbp2016."
Joanna posted this message after her win.
"To think about how I started my day yesterday, and then ended up being crowned Bb. Supranational 2016. I'm so happy I got to experience this with my sisters. Thankyou to my KF family for helping me transform into the lady I am today. Tito Neil and [Maggie Wilson] for all the time you invested in me. [Mark Bumgarner] for the beautiful evening gown that made me feel like a queen before I was even crowned. Everyone who supported me and believed in me when I was shaky about it myself. Especially [Jose Unso] for keeping me sane when I was going crazy preparing for this #BBP2016 #binibiningpilipinas2016#SupraEden2016."
To think about how I started my day yesterday, and then ended up being crowned Bb. Supranational 2016. I'm so happy I got to experience this with my sisters. Thankyou to my KF family for helping me transform into the lady I am today. Tito Neil and @wilsonmaggie for all the time you invested in me. @markbumgarner for the beautiful evening gown that made me feel like a queen before I was even crowned. Everyone who supported me and believed in me when I was shaky about it myself. Especially @joseunso for keeping me sane when I was going crazy preparing for this #BBP2016 #binibiningpilipinas2016 #SupraEden2016
5. She's close to fellow candidate Sarah Christine Bona. Of all the candidates, Joanna considers candidate #34 Sarah Bona as her best friend and "ate" (older sister).
In her interview with Norman, she said: "If I had a wish, it would be for my darling Sarah Bona (Binibini 34) the opportunity to be able to bring her parents home, or to be able to go to Paris go see them, as she hadn’t seen them in over 17 years. I know growing up separated from them forced her to quickly become independent. To mature at a younger age than most of us do. Ever since I first met Sarah she was an Ate to me, bordering almost a mother figure — out of all the girls, she is the one I’ve consistently gone to for advice (relating to absolutely anything you could think of)."
6. She has a sweet tooth. This trivia was revealed by Joanna's mentor Rodgil Flores in a text message to Rappler.
"She always brings chocolates to training. She is considered as the baby of the group...very bubbly, she provides comic antics during training specially when we teach her Tagalog words because she can't get the right pronounciation," he said.
7. Joanna is fond of dogs. Based on her Instagram, Joanna loves taking photos and spending time with dogs.
8. Her pasarela has been called the "Couldn't Care Less" walk. In an interview on Tonight with Boy Abunda Friday, April 22, Joanna explained the reason behind the name.
"Apparently I just look like I couldn't care...it's just like, do you even care?" Joanna said.
More on Bb Pilipinas 2016:
- Maxine Medina crowned Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- FULL LIST: Winners, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Photo recap: Highlights, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's emotional speech at Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's farewell walk at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- WATCH: Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina's Bb Pilipinas Q&A
- WATCH: The moment Maxine Medina became Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 evening gown competition at coronation night
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 swimsuit competition at coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Stars at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Predictions and live blog:
- Bb Pilipinas 2016 predictions: Who will follow Pia Wurtzbach?
- LIVE UPDATES: Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Kylie Verzosa tops Rappler poll on Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Leading up to coronation night:
- IN PHOTOS: 40 Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates walk the runway at press presentation
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 official swimsuit photos
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas talent show 2016
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 national costume competition
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates in casual wear fashion show
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 Parade of Beauties
Get to know the ladies:
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental 2016 Jennifer Hammond
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Grand International 2016 Nicole Cordoves
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas International 2016 Kylie Verzosa
- 9 fun facts: Miss Universe Philippines 2016 Maxine Medina
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the candidates of Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- FULL LIST: Binibining Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- Pia Wurtzbach's advice for Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's sassy assessment of Bb Pilipinas 2016 hopefuls
- WATCH: 'Star-struck' Pia Wurtzbach meets Manny Pacquiao
- Pia Wurtzbach confirms she's dating Dr. Mike, shares more details
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares story behind famous 'Ako bahala, babawi tayo sa Miss U' tweet
- What's next for the Bb Pilipinas 2016 queens
- Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina on the challenge of a back-to-back win
- Nichole Manalo on her Bb Pilipinas Globe 2016 crown
- Beauty queens Bianca, Kate Manalo support younger sister's 2nd Bb Pilipinas bid
- Search for Binibining Pilipinas 2016 begins
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.