8 fun facts: Meet Miss Universe PH 2017 Rachel Peters
MANILA, Philippines – There's a new Binibining Pilipinas Universe set to represent the country in the upcoming international pageant!
Rachel Louise Peters was crowned Miss Universe Philippines 2017 by 2016 titleholder Maxine Medina on Sunday, April 30, at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
Rachel, 25, is now tasked with continuing the country's winning streak, after Pia Wurtzbach's historic winn 2015 and Maxine Medina's top 6 finish in the 2016 competition.
Get to know Rachel, our new Miss Universe Philippines, by reading a few facts about her below!
1. She competed in Miss World Philippines.
Before she entered Binibining Pilipinas, Rachel joined the Miss World Philippines 2014 pageant, where she placed 4th Princess to Valerie Weigmann.
2. She loves the sand and sea.
If you look at her Instagram, you'll discover that Rachel loves the beach and the water. Check out some of her photos below!
3. She's an animal lover.
Rachel loves dogs and posts a lot of photos with her pets.
4. She represented Camarines Sur in the Binibining Pilipinas 2017 pageant.
Rachel, who is of Filipino and British descent, represented Camarines Sur in the pageant. Past titleholders from the Bicol region include Venus Raj (Miss Universe Philippines 2010), Yvethe Santiago (Bb Pilipinas Supranational 2014), and Christi Lynn McGarry, (Miss Intercontinental 2015 1st runner-up).
On Instagram, Christi wrote about Rachel: "A long night, but well worth the wait! Congrats to my girl [Rachel Peters] for winning the coveted Binibining Pilipinas Universe crown! So happy I had the chance to award her as 'Face of Binibini' during one of the special awards segments earlier in the competition, when I got to whisper to her 'You're gonna win, babe.' I knew from the beginning that you could do it, well-deserved!"
A long night, but well worth the wait! Congrats to my girl @rachelpetersx for winning the coveted Binibining Pilipinas Universe crown! So happy I had the chance to award her as "Face of Binibini" during one of the special awards segments earlier in the competition (swipe left for photos!) where I got to whisper to her "you're gonna win babe..." I knew from the beginning that you could do it, well-deserved!!! . . Fun fact: Rachel and I both shared the same Binibini #19 contestant number and both represented our province of CamSur! So proud of you!!! #MissPhilippines #teamphilippines #bicolana #binibiningpilipinas #bbpilipinas #bbpilipinas2017 #beautyqueens #winner #proudofyou #camsur
5. According to her Bb Pilipinas profile, Rachel completed her International Baccalaureate at the British School in Phuket, Thailand, and graduated with a Bachelors degree in Business, Tourism and Events from La Trobe University in Australia.
6. She's an events organizer.
On he Bb Pilipinas video profile, Rachel said that she's always been active in organizing events, including concerts.
"I've been living and breathing events for as long as I can remember. I've been lucky enough to work with artists such as Katy Perry and Christina Aguilera," she said.
Check out Rachel's video from Bb Pilipinas below, where she talked about how she usually spends her Sunday afternoons.
7. She's currently dating the governor of Camarines Sur.
Aside from Rachel's family, another special person cheered for her at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on coronation night – her boyfriend Migz Villafuerte, the governor of Camarines Sur.
In an interview with reporters after coronation night, an overwhelmed Migz compared Rachel's win to his victory during the 2016 elections.
"I feel super good. Parang nanalo uli ako sa eleksyon (I feel like I won the election all over again)," he joked. "Pero sa totoo lang, alam ko kung ano ang pinagdaanan ni Rachel. Grabe pong sakripisyo, hard work, sleepless nights. And awa ng mahal na Diyos, nakuha po niya ang pinapangarap niya sa buhay." (But the truth is, I know what Rachel went through. It took a lot of sacrifice, hard work, sleepless nights. And by the grace of God, she achieved her dream.)
Prior to Rachel's victory, Migz posted a short message for her on his Instagram account.
"So excited for [Rachel Peters] by far, you are the most genuine, sexiest, and most beautiful of them all. So proud of you!"
8. She joined Bb Pilipinas 2017 because at 25, she thought it was her 'last shot.'
Before winning Miss Universe Philippines 2017, Rappler asked why Rachel decided to to join the competition.
She answered: “Since joining Miss World, I’ve always had some people messaging me, ‘Please join. Why don’t you try?’’ And there’s always been a prestige that comes with being a Binibini. And I’m 25 and so I thought this was kinda my last chance and my last shot. And so I’m here and I’m gonna give it my all.” (READ: Bb. Pilipinas 2017: The crossover candidates)
Binibining Pilipinas candidates are required to be between the ages of 17 to 26 at the time of the pageant in order to compete.
Rachel did give it her all, nabbing some of the special awards during coronation night aside from the honor of representing the country in the Miss Universe 2017 pageant.
We're wishing her all the best as she trains further in the next few months for the competition ahead! – Rappler.com
More Bb Pilipinas 2017 on Rappler:
- Katarina Rodriguez tops Rappler poll on Bb Pilipinas 2017
- READ: Kylie Verzosa's final speech as Miss International PH 2016
- READ: Maxine Medina's farewell speech, message to successor
- READ: Miss Universe PH 2017 Rachel Peters' winning Q&A
- Photo recap: Bb Pilipinas 2017 coronation night
- Rachel Peters wins Bb Pilipinas 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Pia Wurtzbach at Bb Pilipinas 2017 coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 evening gown competition
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 swimsuit competition
- ABS-CBN gets exclusive rights to Bb Pilipinas 2017 live coverage
Leading up to coronation night:
- What's next for the 2016 Bb Pilipinas queens?
- More Bb Pilipinas 2017 predictions: Who will win a crown?
- Bb Pilipinas 2017 predictions: 20 favorites to win the crown
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 official top 10 national costumes
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 Parade of Beauties
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: Women of change
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: Talent competition standouts
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 candidates in Jag fashion show
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: National costumes that stand out
- LOOK: The Bb Pilipinas 2017 candidates in stunning national costumes
- Winning a beauty pageant: does age matter?
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the 40 Bb Pilipinas 2017 candidates
- What change would Pia Wurtzbach like to see in Bb Pilipinas?
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: Meet the returning candidates
- You may recognize these 3 Bb Pilipinas candidates
- Bb. Pilipinas 2017: The crossover candidates