Miss International 2016 Kylie Verzosa's advice for 2017 Bb PH queens
MANILA, Philippines – Three days after the Binibining Pilipinas 2017 coronation night, Miss International 2016 Kylie Verzosa gave some advice to her successor and the newly crowned queens.
Kylie spoke to reporters after a press conference for the passing of the Mental Health Bill on Wednesday, May 3. (READ: Kylie Verzosa's final speech as Miss International PH 2016)
To the new queens, she said: "Well first of all, enjoy it. Always stay focused. It’s easy to get sidetracked with all these kinds of things – it’s the glitz and glamor. But then, you always to have to remind themselves why they are there, why they’re there to win for the Philippines, to fight for a cause, and they shouldn’t be fighting for themselves anymore, but for a bigger cause."
A day after coronation night, Kylie also posted a short message on Instagram to the 2017 queens: "Two crowns for the year, kissing my first one goodbye. [Mariel], I couldn't be any happier! To the other girls, [ Rachel Peters], [Chanel Olive Villamayor Thomas], [Katarina Rodriguez], [Elizabeth Clenci], [Nelda Ibe] congratulations! Make the Philippines proud! All my love and support."
'[Mariel] has fire'
Kylie also said she is happy to have passed her crown on to Mariel de Leon. The Philippines is now rooting for Mariel for another Miss International win. (READ: 8 fun facts: Meet Bb Pilipinas International 2017 Mariel de Leon)
"I love how she transformed from the first time she joined the pageant. I think she’s more of a stronger woman," Kylie said. "I can see na parang (that) she’s has fire, she has determination and I like that about a woman competing for a title. So I like that about her."
Kylie won the Miss International title in October 2016 in Japan. She is currently busy with various projects, including the passage of the Mental Health Bill, which has been approved in the Senate after a final reading on Tuesday, May 2. – Rappler.com
More Bb Pilipinas 2017 on Rappler:
Post-Bb Pilipinas 2017
- 8 fun facts: Meet Bb Pilipinas International 2017 Mariel de Leon
- Migz Villafuerte on Rachel Peters' Miss Universe PH 2017 win
- 8 fun facts: Meet Miss Universe PH 2017 Rachel Peters
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: A new chapter of titleholders
- Katarina Rodriguez tops Rappler poll on Bb Pilipinas 2017
- READ: Kylie Verzosa's final speech as Miss International PH 2016
- READ: Maxine Medina's farewell speech, message to successor
- READ: Miss Universe PH 2017 Rachel Peters' winning Q&A
- Photo recap: Bb Pilipinas 2017 coronation night
- Rachel Peters wins Bb Pilipinas 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Pia Wurtzbach at Bb Pilipinas 2017 coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 evening gown competition
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 swimsuit competition
- ABS-CBN gets exclusive rights to Bb Pilipinas 2017 live coverage
Leading up to coronation night:
- What's next for the 2016 Bb Pilipinas queens?
- More Bb Pilipinas 2017 predictions: Who will win a crown?
- Bb Pilipinas 2017 predictions: 20 favorites to win the crown
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 official top 10 national costumes
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 Parade of Beauties
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: Women of change
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: Talent competition standouts
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2017 candidates in Jag fashion show
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: National costumes that stand out
- LOOK: The Bb Pilipinas 2017 candidates in stunning national costumes
- Winning a beauty pageant: does age matter?
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the 40 Bb Pilipinas 2017 candidates
- What change would Pia Wurtzbach like to see in Bb Pilipinas?
- Bb Pilipinas 2017: Meet the returning candidates
- You may recognize these 3 Bb Pilipinas candidates
- Bb. Pilipinas 2017: The crossover candidates