PHOTO RECAP: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
MANILA, Philippines – It was an eventful night when the Philippines' Pia Wurtzbach was crowned Miss Universe 2015 on Sunday, December 20, (Monday, December 21, in Manila) at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.
The show was hosted by Emmy Award-winning TV personality and comedian Steve Harvey and actress Roselyn Sanchez. The judges were Emmitt Smith, Niecy Nash, Olivia Culpo, and Perez Hilton.
Most of the excitement happened when host Steve Harvey misread the winners announcement and Miss Colombia was crowned instead. But what happened before that?
Let's have a look.
Uness stated otherwise, all photos courtesy of the Miss Universe Organization
The night started out with the ladies walking the stage in their national costumes. This portion of the show was pre-taped, it was filmed after the preliminary competition on Wednesday, December 16, (Thursday, December 17 in Manila). After the national costume show, the Top 15 contestants were announced. Check out some of the girls' costumes below:
The ladies then walked the stage for the swimsuit portion of the night, with Charlie Puth performing a medley of his songs, “Marvin Gaye”, “One Call Away”, and “Some Type of Love”. The Top 10 ladies were announced after the swimsuit portion.
The 10 ladies then walked the stage in their evening gowns as The Band Perry performed “Live Forever” and “Done.” The Top 5 contestants – France, Colombia, Philippines, Australia, and the USA – were announced afterwards.
Question and answer
The question and answer portion came next. The Top 5 contestants were asked about current issues affecting their countries, such as terrorism, gun laws, and the legalization of marijuana. The Top 3 were announced after – Philippines, Colombia, and USA.
Before the announcement of the winners, the Top 3 walked the stage one last time as Seal performed. They were each asked why they should be Miss Universe.
USA was named the second runner-up, Philippines the first runner-up, and Colombia Miss Universe. But after Miss Universe 2014 Paulina Vega passed the crown on to Colombia's Ariadna Gutierez, Steve went back onstage and apologized.
Steve misread the winners announcement – Miss Philippines, Pia, was the actual Miss Universe 2015.
Paulina took the crown back from Ariadna and passed it on to Pia instead.
- PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- N PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
- HIGHLIGHTS: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night