PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
MANILA, Philippines (5th UPDATE) – After a mix-up, Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach was crowned Miss Universe 2015 on Sunday, December 20 (Monday, December 21 in Manila) at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas.
After her win, Pia's coach, Mark Bessie Besana posted a video on Facebook. "Hi mga Pianatics, it's me, Miss Universe, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach from the Philippines! Nanalo na tayo (we won already), finally. Thank you so much sa lahat ng support niyo (all of your support) and I can't wait to see you guys, thank you," said Pia, before blowing kisses to the camera.
Sa lahat ng sumuporta kay Pia. Para sa inyo ito.
Sa lahat ng sumuporta kay Pia. Para sa inyo ito.Posted by Mark Bessie Besana on Sunday, December 20, 2015
First runner-up was Miss Colombia, Ariadna Gutierrez, who was first announced as the winner by host Steve Harvey, in a mix-up that he said was a "horrible mistake" on his part. Second runner-up was Miss USA, Olivia Jordan. (READ: Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner)
"I can't wait to share my victory with my countrymen. Mabuhay ang Pilipinas," she told the media backstage after the pageant.
On Tuesday, December 22, Pia posted a message on her Instagram account, saying, "42 years of drought and now it finally reigns."
Wurtzbach was visibly shocked when the "correction" in the announcement was made. She was then crowned by Miss Universe 2014, Colombia's Paulina Vega.
She now follows in the footsteps of Filipina Miss Universe winners Gloria Diaz (1969) and Margarita Moran (1973) – ending a 42-year drought for the Philippines in the prestigious pageant.
It has been a long journey for Wurtzbach, 26, before her winning moment.
The Filipina beauty queen represented the country in the global contest after her third attempt in joining the Binibining Pilipinas beauty pageant.
During the final question and answer round – in which the top three contestants were asked the question, "why should you be the next Miss Universe?," this was her answer: "I want to show the world – the universe rather – that I am confidently beautiful with a heart."
In the previous question and answer round, she was asked by host Harvey a politically-loaded question: does she approve of the US having military presence in her home country?
In her answer, she said she would welcome their presence, citing the "good" relationship between the two countries.
The day before the coronation night, Pia sent out a message to her supporters, acknowledging her 3 attempts to win the crown.
She wrote, "I hope I inspired you. Never give up on your dreams and believe that dreams do come true! Walang susuko! Ang Pilipino, palaban. (No giving up! The Filipino is a fighter.)“
The pageant, held at the Planet Hollywood resort in Las Vegas, is the 64th edition of the annual global competition. – KD Suarez and Vernise Tantuco / Rappler.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- WATCH: LIVE STREAM: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- N PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
- HIGHLIGHTS: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night
To greater exploration
Our Life & Style section is dedicated to exploring everyday life – from career and relationships to fashion, travel, and culture.
We want to tell more stories that enable and empower your lifestyle. However, we need reader support.
By joining Rappler PLUS, you will get exclusive event invites, industry reports, and Rappler Shop discounts.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.