Margie Moran, Gloria Diaz on Pia Wurtzbach's win
MANILA, Philippines – After the Philippines' Pia Wurtzbach won the Miss Universe crown on Sunday, December 20 (Monday, December 21 in Manila), Gloria Diaz and Margarita "Margie" Moran shared what they thought about her win and the announcement mix-up.
Gloria and Margie – both Miss Universe winners and Philippine representatives – spoke in an interview with ABS-CBN's TV Patrol.
Gloria praised designer Albert Andrada for Pia's evening gown, and commented on her answers in the question and answer portions.
For the first question and answer portion, Pia was asked whether or not she thought that the US should have military presence in the country.
Pia answered: "I think that the United States and the Philippines have always had a good relationship with each other. We were colonized by the Americans and we have their culture in our traditions even up to this day, and I think we are very welcoming with the Americans, and I don't see any problem with that at all."
"The first answer was, for me, iffy," said Gloria. "Playing to the Americans. That's fine. Of course I love America – take me with you," she added, laughing. "But the second answer was really very inspired, and I think that's what clicked."
For the second question, Pia was asked why she should be the next Miss Universe. After speaking about issues like HIV/AIDS, Pia finished, “I want to show the universe that I am confidently beautiful with a heart.”
On Margie's end, she said of Pia's performance, "She answered very well. She's very confident, a very good review, I think, for her personality."
During the coronation night, host Steve Harvey initially announced that Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez was the winner. After she was crowned, Steve went back onstage, explaining that he misread the card and that Pia was actually the winner.
Gloria said of the mix-up: "It will always be remembered. Double in joy, kasi okay na, naging first runner-up, mas okay pa naging Miss Universe 'di ba (Double in joy, because it's okay that we were first runner-up, and it became even more okay that we became Miss Universe right)?" she told TV Patrol.
"He should pay a fine!" she added. "Hundred thousand dollars, right? To both. To Miss Colombia and to Miss Universe for the faux pas."
But later in the interview, Gloria said: "My heart went out to Miss Colombia. I can't imagine taking off the crown and putting it on somebody else."
Margie, meanwhile, sympathized with both Ariadna and Pia. "I feel sorry for both candidates, and for Miss Philippines, her glory was stolen from that moment. She didn't even get to walk in the aisle. Nevertheless, she still won."
Margie said that the mix-up distracted from the win. "I think it would take time before we forget what really happened and we'll focus on who the real winner is."
Former Miss Universe PH
The Philippines may have only won the crown 3 times, but we have come close in recent years.
When Pia won, these former Miss Universe Philippines representatives reacted on social media.
Here's what they had to say:
Venus Raj, the 4th runner-up in Miss Universe 2010, thanked Pia for the win.
@PiaWurtzbach wwaahhhh!!!!! Thank you for making our dreams come true!!!!— Venus Raj (@Onlyvenusraj) December 21, 2015
Shamcey Supsup was 3rd runner-up 2011. She expressed her excitement over the win on Twitter.
OMG OMG the Universe is finally ours!!!!— shamcey supsup lee (@supsup_shamcey) December 21, 2015
Janine Tugonon commended the team that trained Pia for the pageant, Aces and Queens. Janine was Miss Universe 1st runner-up in 2012.
Ariella Arida, Miss Universe 3rd runner-up in 2013, said that Pia's win made her cry.
Mars naiyak ako sayo!!!!! Oopps sorry Miss Universe naiyak ako sayo!!! Love you mars!!!@PiaWurtzbach— Ariella Arida (@araarida) December 21, 2015
Mary Jean Lastimosa, who made it to the Top 10 in 2014, congratulated Pia.
Omg I feel bad for Colombia! Congratulation Pia!!!! 3rd crown!!!!— Mary Jean Lastimosa (@MJ_Lastimosa) December 21, 2015
Antagal na natin inantay to!!! Congrats Pia!!!!! 3rd crown— Mary Jean Lastimosa (@MJ_Lastimosa) December 21, 2015
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- N PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
- HIGHLIGHTS: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night