Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
MANILA, Philippines – On Sunday, January 3, the Colombian who posted the viral video that showed burning effigies of Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach and pageant host Steve Harvey apologized on Facebook.
In his message, Noider Almanza Barraza explained that the burning of effigies of controversial personalities is a New Year tradition in Colombia. It represents leaving behind what happened in the past year.
In Spanish, he said: "The video that I uploaded to my social networks showing some dolls on New Year's Eve is a tradition of my country. We burned dolls of personalities who have caused controversy or been in the news in 2015 to leave behind what happened in 2015. With the burning of the dolls, we begin a new year. At no time did we mean to hurt or offend the people of the Philippines. I am very sad and repentant because of the stir caused by the video, but I was not the only one who burned such dolls. I ask for forgiveness."
On January 2, Noider's video of his fellow Colombians burning effigies of Pia and Steve went viral, angering Filipinos, who said that the Colombians were bitter.
Noider's video and his photos with the effigies are no longer on his Facebook page. His Instagram account, where he also posted a photo of himself posing with the effigies, is now set to private.
During the coronation night of the Miss Universe 2015 pageant, Steve mistakenly announced that Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez won the crown. He later apologized and corrected himself, saying that it was actually Pia who won.
Noider isn't the only Latin American who posted about burning the effigies of Pia and Steve on New Year's Eve. Others posted photos of their effigies of the two on Twitter as well.
The burning of effigies, called año viejo (old year), is a New Year's Eve tradition in Latin American countries. The effigies are burned at the stroke of midnight.
What do you think about the issue? Let us know in the comments! – Rappler.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:' I'm Colombian but I would choose Philippines'
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
Pia Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach's New Year message: 'I've never been more proud to be a Filipina'
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
- HIGHLIGHTS: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.