Pia Wurtzbach honored with key to the city of Manila
MANILA, Philippines – Hours before her grand parade scheduled at 2pm, Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach started day 2 of her homecoming visit with a courtesy call at the Manila City Hall, Monday, January 25
Manila mayor Joseph "Erap" Estrada, who was present at the event, personally handed the key to the city to Pia.
Manila City Mayor presenting the Key to the cityPosted by Bb. Pilipinas (Official) on Sunday, January 24, 2016
The Voice Kids season 2 finalist Esang de Torres, who is from Tondo, Manila, performed a song for Pia during her courtesy call.
Live here at Manila City Hall!Posted by Bb. Pilipinas (Official) on Sunday, January 24, 2016
From the Manila city hall, Pia and the Miss Universe team went to the Senate, where she received a Citation of Excellence. Senators Franklin Drilon and Juan Edgardo "Sonny" Angara presented her with the honor.
In his congratulatory message to Pia, Drilon said: "Pia, we all know that your journey towards the Miss Universe crown was not easy. Beneath all the smiles and the glitz and glamor, there was hard work – pure hard work.
"Your fierce faith in God, determination and the strong support of the people who love you and who believe in you, brought you to where you are now.
"Pia’s composure while Steve Harvey was trying to correct his mistake was admirable. Pia is a breath of fresh air. In that nerve-wracking moment, you have shown the world, not just the beauty, but also the grace and elegance of the Filipino woman.
"I understand that Pia has made the fight against HIV her main advocacy. I can assure you that the Senate is one with you in this campaign. We will work on legislation that will boost this campaign. We also have a champion. Our very own Pia, Senator Pia Cayetano.
"Pia’s life story has inspired millions of Filipinos. I hope she will continue use her voice to influence the Filipino youth in nation-building. Today, we need heroes to unite us and the Senate finds in Pia that hero that we need to unite us."
Meanwhile, last minute preparations are being made for Pia's float. Check out the short video here.
Last minute preparations! Are you ready for Pia? #ConfidentlyBeautiful #MostBeautifulDay ™@thearanetacenterPosted by Bb. Pilipinas (Official) on Sunday, January 24, 2016
Pia's parade will start at the Sofitel and travel to parts of Manila before heading to Makati with the last leg scheduled at 5pm in Araneta Center, Cubao. – Rappler.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares awesome advice from Shamcey Supsup
- Pia Wurtzbach to wear more Filipino designs during reign
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach defends answer on US military presence in PH
- Pia Wurtzbach on love life, being 'sawi,' and more
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach arrives in Manila
- WATCH: Miss Colombia, Steve Harvey laugh at Miss Universe memes
- WATCH: Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez discusses 'nightmare' Miss Universe moment
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach discusses Miss Universe mix-up with Steve Harvey
- Pia Wurtzbach meets Lea Salonga in New York
- James Franco responds to Pia Wurtzbach: 'I love the Philippines!'
- Pia Wurtzbach coming home to PH on January 23
- Pia Wurtzbach reacts to meeting Samuel L Jackson, Eva Longoria
- Steve Harvey releases first statement on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach answers pageant questions in 45 seconds
- Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach on effigy issue, PH homecoming
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach gets her Miss Universe walk
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's first interview as Miss Universe 2015
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:' I'm Colombian but I would choose Philippines'
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
- Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
Pia Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach's New Year message: 'I've never been more proud to be a Filipina'
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
To greater exploration
Our Life & Style section is dedicated to exploring everyday life – from career and relationships to fashion, travel, and culture.
We want to tell more stories that enable and empower your lifestyle. However, we need reader support.
By joining Rappler PLUS, you will get exclusive event invites, industry reports, and Rappler Shop discounts.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.