Pia Wurtzbach to wear more Filipino designs during reign
MANILA, Philippines – She's championing HIV/AIDS awareness, fighting cyberbullying, and getting involved with disaster relief operations, and now Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach is pushing for one more thing – wearing Filipino designers during her reign.
In an interview with the media after her grand press conference at Novotel Sunday, January 24, Pia showed off the outfit she wore by designer Albert Andrada, who made her now famous blue gown at the competition. She happily shared that she got the approval from the Miss Universe organization to wear more outfits from designers from the Philippines.
"Earlier today, during my interviews this morning, I was wearing Bessie Besana, who also did the gown at the Star Magic Ball. So I’m taking steps, I mean I actually had Francis Libiran also in my room a few hours ago because we were looking at some wardrobe that I could bring with me to Miss Universe, and Cheetah Rivera also provided me with some very beautiful clothes that I can’t wait to wear to my future events," Pia shared.
"I’ve always told Miss Universe that if I can, I want to wear Filipino designers as much as possible and pinakita ko sa kanila (I showed it to them). They were very impressed and I got the thumbs up to wear them so I’m finally able to do it," she added.
During the grand press conference, Pia said that she was happy to have worn a gown by a Filipino designer.
"We're finally able to wear a Filipino designer in Miss Universe. It's something that I was looking forward to a very long time and I'm happy that it happened ng hindi pinipilit (that it was not forced). Pinagdasal ko lang na sana mangyari (I prayed that it would happen)... and I'm so happy," she said.
Pia on wearing A Filipino dress. pic.twitter.com/3CocNSeLqz— alexa villano (@alexavillano) January 24, 2016
At the group interview, Pia was also asked of the possibility of having the pageant come to Manila. She said she would love to crown her successor in the country just like what Margarita "Margie" Moran did in 1974 after winning Miss Universe in 1973.
"Definitely I would like to pass on my crown. We're talking about it already, I only had it for one month," Pia joked. "Definitely I would want to pass on the crown here in my home country. That would be nice right? Para din maramdaman nung mga tao kung gaano ka big deal sa atin ang (So people will feel how important this is to us) Miss Universe. That would be great.
"I think it would also work well for promoting tourism in our country. That's a good idea definitely. Sana mangyari (I hope it happens) ,who knows, you'll never know right?"
When asked how she would push for it to happen, Pia said: "I hope that while we're here we would make the most out of our visit now. I trust that the organization are in talks with the possibilities of doing that. Sana maging maayos ang lahat para matuloy na. (I hope everything will be fixed so it will finally happen.)
Pia arrived Saturday, January 23 for a long week of activities planned for her by Binibining Pilipinas Charities and the Miss Universe organization. On January 25, she will pay a courtesy call to Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada and the Senate before her grand parade starting in Manila and ending in Cubao. A courtesy call to President Benigno Aquino III is scheduled on January 26, with her grand homecoming on January 28. – Rappler.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- Is Pia coming or not? Confusion leads to blame game in CDO
- Honoring Miss Universe: House mulls tax exemption for Pia Wurtzbach
- LOOK: Pia Wurtzbach's Miss Universe photos by Fadil Berisha
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach arrives in Manila
- WATCH: Miss Colombia, Steve Harvey laugh at Miss Universe memes
- WATCH: Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez discusses 'nightmare' Miss Universe moment
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach discusses Miss Universe mix-up with Steve Harvey
- Pia Wurtzbach meets Lea Salonga in New York
- James Franco responds to Pia Wurtzbach: 'I love the Philippines!'
- Pia Wurtzbach coming home to PH on January 23
- Pia Wurtzbach reacts to meeting Samuel L Jackson, Eva Longoria
- Steve Harvey releases first statement on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach answers pageant questions in 45 seconds
- Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach on effigy issue, PH homecoming
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach gets her Miss Universe walk
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's first interview as Miss Universe 2015
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:' I'm Colombian but I would choose Philippines'
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
- Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
Pia Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach's New Year message: 'I've never been more proud to be a Filipina'
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation