Pia Wurtzbach on love life, being 'sawi,' and more
MANILA, Philippines – Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach is back in the Philippines for the first time since she won the crown, and she spoke to members of the press on Sunday, January 24. (READ: Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach arrives in Manila)
While some of the questions asked were about her advocacies, Pia was also asked questions about love, songs she would sing to calm down during pageants, and life in New York City.
As ever, Pia was composed but also candid with the press when she the occasion called for it. She even sang a bit of Christina Aguilera's 'What a Girl Wants," and joked about her love life and her future plans.
Here are some of Pia's best lines during the conference at Novotel Manila Araneta Center.
'What a Girl Wants'
"There's a song that I would kinda sing in my head during Binibini and during Miss Universe as well. But the whole song doesn't really relate to the pageant, but there's just a line," shared Pia.
"No, I can't sing it, no!" Pia insisted as those
at the conference encouraged her to. Still, after explaining, "Because when you join a competition like that, it's very competitive, it's scary," Pia sang a line from the song that would calm her down: "Hoping for the best but expecting the worst, are you gonna drop the bomb or not?"
The line is from Alphaville's "Forever Young."
Pia also revealed what song was playing in her headphones during the second question and answer round of the Miss Universe pageant. The Top 3 contestants had to wear noise-canceling headphones so as not to hear the question that would be asked.
Miss Universe 2015 then gave a short rendition of Christina Aguilara's "What a Girl Wants."
"I'll never forget it," said Pia about the song. "I was thinking, 'Oh my God, Christina Aguilera is here right now and just before I'm about to do my final answer."
Does she wear the crown when she doesn't have to?
"At the end of the night, when everybody was gonna leave already, I was still wearing it. So I've been wearing it for hours. They went, 'Don't you wanna rest, you know, take it off, put it back in the box?'"
Pia shook her head no. "I'm like, 'No, I'm okay, feels right, you know?'"
Pia also recounted that for the first few days of her stay in New York, she would always check if the crown was still in its box. "I took a nap with it beside me, and when I woke up, it was still there and I decided, 'Oh no, no, I'll put this back in the box, baka matabig ko pa, mahulog 'to (I might knock it over, it might fall), my gosh, God forbid that would happen, the Filipinos are gonna kill me, I haven't even done my homecoming yet, so better keep it safe.'"
Plans post-Miss Universe
"If there are any offers or opportunities to work abroad, in the US, then why not? I'll definitely try that out," said Pia, before joking, "I might be the next Bond girl, who knows? So we'll see, that's the next dream."
A secret boyfriend?
In all her past interview as Miss Universe, Pia has always said that she's single. However, she also said during a segment on the Miss Universe coronation night that she has a boyfriend her mother didn't know about yet. You can watch her talk about boyfriends with some of the other contestants at the 1:20:17 mark below:
On the issue, Pia said, "I thought it was something, but it was nothing. I don't have a boyfriend. I didn't have a boyfriend during the competition. Although I thought I was seeing somebody, but turns out, I wasn't. So kita mo, kahit Miss Universe ka, pwede ka pa rin maging sawi (See, even if you're Miss Universe, you can still be unlucky in love)!"
Missing the Big Apple
"What I miss about New York... Well, the beautiful skyline, the Broadway shows, the food," said Pia laughing. "Just the feeling of being in New York, it's like when you're there, no matter how tired you are, you won't feel it because the energy is exhilerating when you're there, so that's what I probably miss."
Pia arrived in Manila on January 23, and is set to make many courtesy calls at government offices, and to have a parade on January 25. – Rappler.com
- WATCH: Miss Colombia, Steve Harvey laugh at Miss Universe memes
- WATCH: Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez discusses 'nightmare' Miss Universe moment
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach discusses Miss Universe mix-up with Steve Harvey
- Pia Wurtzbach meets Lea Salonga in New York
- James Franco responds to Pia Wurtzbach: 'I love the Philippines!'
- Pia Wurtzbach coming home to PH on January 23
- Pia Wurtzbach reacts to meeting Samuel L Jackson, Eva Longoria
- Steve Harvey releases first statement on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach answers pageant questions in 45 seconds
- Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach on effigy issue, PH homecoming
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach gets her Miss Universe walk
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's first interview as Miss Universe 2015
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:' I'm Colombian but I would choose Philippines'
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
- Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
Pia Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach's New Year message: 'I've never been more proud to be a Filipina'
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation