IN PHOTOS: Pia Wurtzbach at grand homecoming parade
MANILA, Philippines – The people came out to see her, the new Miss Universe who brought the crown home at last, after 42 years.
A stunning, smiling Pia Wurtzbach, wearing a green terno by Albert Andrada, waved jubilantly to the crowd from her perch on the blue Miss Universe float, which resembled her crown.
Begining at the Sofitel past 2 pm Monday afternoon January 25, the float also made its way to Makati and finally, will end its journey at the Araneta Center in Cubao.
Crowds of supporters waited to get a glimpse of the pageant queen as her float made its way from Manila.
Earlier, a small crowd was already gathering around her float – blue, like her crown – and taking selfies.
They held small Philippine flags and little pink banners - on it: "Pia"
Blue and pink balloons adorned the other vehicles involved in the parade, including the police motorcycles.
Below, scenes from the earlier part of the festivities. We'll update this page with more photos as the parade rolls on:
Here are photos taken from an overpass on Roxas Boulevard:
Excited fans rushed to different viewing points to see Pia. Here's a look at people congregating in the Taft area:
Meanwhile, excited fans further along the parade route waited patiently for their queen to arrive. Check out this video below:
After 4 pm, the parade rolled around to its Makati leg.
Despite the cloudy dain and the rain, the show went on. Fittingly, a rainbow made a surprise appearance:
And as the sun set, her float lit up:
Finally, the parade ended at Cubao, near the place where Pia competed 3 times for the Binibining Pilipinas top prize – and won on her third try.
Finally, she thanked her fans for their support – and asked them to continue following her journey as Miss Universe.
"Like what I said before, my goal was to bring back home the crown, and finally, we did it!
"I say we, because this is not my crown, this is our crown. This is for you, this is for the Philippines," she said.
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- Pia Wurtzbach honored with key to the city of Manila
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares awesome advice from Shamcey Supsup
- Pia Wurtzbach to wear more Filipino designs during reign
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach defends answer on US military presence in PH
- Pia Wurtzbach on love life, being 'sawi,' and more
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach arrives in Manila
- WATCH: Miss Colombia, Steve Harvey laugh at Miss Universe memes
- WATCH: Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez discusses 'nightmare' Miss Universe moment
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach discusses Miss Universe mix-up with Steve Harvey
- Pia Wurtzbach meets Lea Salonga in New York
- James Franco responds to Pia Wurtzbach: 'I love the Philippines!'
- Pia Wurtzbach coming home to PH on January 23
- Pia Wurtzbach reacts to meeting Samuel L Jackson, Eva Longoria
- Steve Harvey releases first statement on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach answers pageant questions in 45 seconds
- Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach on effigy issue, PH homecoming
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach gets her Miss Universe walk
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's first interview as Miss Universe 2015
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:' I'm Colombian but I would choose Philippines'
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
- Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
Pia Wurtzbach as Miss Universe 2015
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach's New Year message: 'I've never been more proud to be a Filipina'
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH's Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen 'round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach's national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I'm not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach's official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.