Miss Universe 2017: Mikimoto crown makes a comeback
MANILA, Philippines – During the telecast of the Miss Universe 2017 in Las Vegas on Sunday, November 26 (November 27 Manila time), a familiar crown made its comeback.
The Mikimoto crown was in the spotlight as Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere put the crown on South Africa's Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters.
The crown was last used in 2007 by Japan's Riyo Mori. It was first worn in 2002 when Oxana Federova of Russia was crowned. It has since been kept by the Miss Universe Organization after switching to the crowns by Diamond Nexus Lab and the Diamond International Corporation (DIC). (IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe crowns through the years)
In August 2017, it was reported that the WME/IMG, the mother company of Miss Universe, sued the Czech company Diamond International Corporation for breach of contract. According to Reuters, IMG Universe canceled the contract after the company failed to make two payments.
Iris was the last to wear the DIC crown. Since the canceling of the contract with DIC, Iris has been wearing the Diamond Nexus crown.
In an article, Rappler beauty pageant columnist Voltaire Tayag said the crown "depicted the phoenix rising, signifying status, power, and beauty. The crown has 500 diamonds of almost 30 carats (6.0 g), 120 South Sea and Akoya pearls, ranging in size from 3 to 18 mm diameter and is valued at $250,000."
The Mikimoto crown is considered by fans as one of the most beautiful crowns in Miss Universe history.
Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach got the chance to wear the crown during one of her final shoots as Miss Universe. She even got giddy when it was placed on her head.
More Miss Universe on Rappler
- Fil-Am modeling director to judge Miss Universe 2017 preliminary competition
- LOOK: Philippines, Indonesia are Miss Universe 2017 roomies
- CONFIRMED: Miss Universe 2017 to be held in Las Vegas, USA
- Nia Sanchez,Tegan Martin on life after Miss Universe
- Pia Wurtzbach to judge Miss Universe 2017
- What Pia Wurtzbach reminded Rachel Peters to do in Miss Universe 2017
- WATCH: Know more about Rachel Peters in her Miss Universe introduction video
- LOOK: Rachel Peters' national costume for Miss Universe 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Rachel Peters at the Miss Universe 2017 preliminaries
- 5 ways to help Miss Universe PH Rachel Peters make it to the Top 15
- RAPPLER EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Cecilio Asuncion
- PH stars call on fans to support Rachel Peters in Miss Universe 2017
- WATCH: Rachel Peters' message for Filipino fans as Miss Universe 2017 approaches
- Predictions: Who will be Miss Universe 2017?
- 8 fun facts: Meet Miss Universe PH 2017 Rachel Peters
- Rachel Peters felt 'betrayed' over 'leaked' photo of evening gown
- WATCH: Interview with Rachel Peters' mentor Rodgil Flores
- PH's Rachel Peters in Miss Universe 2017 Top 16
- These 3 countries made their Miss Universe debut at the 2017 pageant
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2017 swimsuit competition
- Rachel Peters ends journey in Miss Universe 2017
- LOOK: The Top 3 for Miss Universe 2017
- South Africa's Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters crowned Miss Universe 2017
- Meet Miss Universe 2017 Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters
- IN PHOTOS: Philippines' Rachel Peters at Miss Universe 2017 coronation
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2017 evening gown competition
- LOOK: Miss Universe 2016 Iris Mittenaere wears Michael Cinco gown
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.