Miss World 2013 begins despite Muslim hardline protests
BALI, Indonesia - Miss World began in Indonesia Sunday, Sept 8, amid tight security after days of Muslim hardline protests that forced authorities to order the whole beauty pageant be held on the Hindu-majority island of Bali.
As contestants took part in a glittering opening ceremony on the resort island, around 100 police, including some armed with rifles, patrolled around the building where the contest was being held.
Watch Miss World Philippines Megan Young in her Francis Libiran gown in this video:
The ceremony saw contestants perform a traditional dance using fans, as well as a Balinese "Kecak" dance, in which participants sit in a circle and chant while throwing their hands in the air.
Nana Putra, an official from MNC media group, the local organizer which is also broadcasting Miss World, said organizers hoped the event would "lift Indonesia's image to the world."
But the 63rd edition of the pageant has been overshadowed by a snowballing protest movement, and hundreds of police were deployed across Bali as the event got under way.
"So far there is no indication of a security threat," Bali police spokesman Hariadi, who like many Indonesians goes by one name, said.
"However we are still increasing our alertness and security — all entrances to Bali are guarded by our personnel."
Thousands of Islamic hardliners have taken to the streets across the country during the past week, denouncing the show as "smut and pornography" and burning effigies of the organizers.
Organizers pledged months ago there would be no bikini round during this year's pageant in a bid to avoid causing offense.
However, this was not enough to stop street protests, and on Saturday the government bowed to the mounting pressure by deciding to move the final, on September 28, and several other events to Bali.
While organizers always planned to hold the opening of the show on Bali, the final and other events had originally been scheduled to take place in and around the capital Jakarta.
However, radicals threatened to stage huge rallies in the area, where there is considerable hardline influence, to stop the events from going ahead.
Although Bali has been hit by deadly bomb attacks in the past, hardline influence is almost non-existent on the island nowadays and locals are used to seeing hordes of tourists sunbathing in their swimwear.
Announcing the change of venue, coordinating minister for people's welfare, Agung Laksono, said the government had "listened to what the people wanted."
The organizers said they were "disappointed" by the decision.
"There is the potential that we will be seen as a country which always bows to pressure from a noisy Muslim minority group," Arief Suditomo, from the local organizing committee, told AFP.
MNC's Putra said organizers would try to meet the government next week to discuss the decision to move the final to Bali.
While most of Indonesia's population of more than 240 million practices a moderate form of Islam, the influence of the hardline fringe is growing and they have succeeded in getting events changed or cancelled in the past.
Here is Megan Young's official Miss World 2013 profile video shot in Bali:
You can also read:
- Indonesia moves Miss World final to Bali after protests
- Mutya Datul is Miss Supranational 2013
- AS IT HAPPENS: Miss Supranational 2013
- Miss World 'smut, pornography'
- Miss World organizers defend Indonesia pageant
- Megan Young leaves for Indonesia
- Indonesian Muslim hardliners protest against Miss World
- Megan Young ready for Miss World 2013
- Indonesian minister wants cancellation of Miss World
- Indonesian rights official rejects Miss World
- Sash Factor and PH pageant mania
- Megan Young 2nd in Ms World app poll
- Mutya Datul is Miss Personality at Supranational 2013
- The beauty pageant experts: OPMB
- Will Megan Young win Miss World title?
- IN PHOTOS: Ms World Ph 2013 coronation
- WINNERS: Miss World Ph 2013
- AS IT HAPPENS: Miss World Ph 2013 coronation night
- Live Blog: Miss World Ph 2013 coronation night
- Girls to watch: Miss World Ph 2013
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Ph Gala
- Mutya Datul off to Ms Supranational
- Beauty pageant 101: The other pageants
- Pageants: It's a man's world, too!
- Big 4: The 'Olympics of beauty'