IN PHOTOS: Trend tracking at Miss World Philippines 2017
In the past couple of years, there has been a resurgence of the fashion designer and beauty queen muse trope. Some of the beauty queens opted to return to the same designer who designed her winning gown in the national finals. This could be out of feelings of “utang na loob” (debt of gratitude), belief in an auspicious or lucky partnership, a vote confidence in a designer who instictively knows what looks best on her, or simply because they are very good friends. Whatever the reason, it has proven to be successful for Albert Andrada and Pia Wurtbach, Rhett Eala and Maxine Medina, Francis Libiran and both Kylie Versoza and Catriona Gray.
During the recently held Miss World Philippines 2017, our very talented, world-class Filipino designers were also big winners. They had the opportunity to dress not only the 35 MWP Candidates but also Iya Villania, Carla Abellana and the 7 former Miss World Philippines winners. The world was literally watching when Miss World 2017, Stephanie del Valle and a representative from the 5 Continental Queens of Beauty took the front row to this pageant cum fashion show.
Queenierich Rehman, MWP 2012, decided to show off her legs in a teeny tiny royal blue lace bustier dress and a chiffon train by Nat Manilag.
Valerie Weigmann, MWP 2014, was pure supermodel fierceness in her royal blue gown accented with a modern tribal neckpiece adorned with metal tubes and feathers by Martin Bautista
Gwen Ruais, MW 2011 1st Princess, shimmered as she channeled her inner Cinderella in this ice blue, off-shoulder ballgown by Jazel Sy.
Ladies who let their hair down (literally)
Megan Young, Miss World 2013, must have been inspired by Jessica Rabbit with her black, sequined bustier by Popo Go Manila and Veronica Lake sideswept wave. This was a major fashion win for the beauty queen who dared to wear black, a color hardly seen in beauty pageant circles.
Catriona Gray, MWP 2016, was a goddess in a white Val Taguba Couture gown with intricate appliqués, beading, and lattice embroidery.
Hillarie Parungao, MWP 2015, looked bodly sophisticated in a cleavage-bearing, fuschia bustier studded with crystals by Mak Tumang
Not to be outdone was Miss World 1993 2nd Princess, Ruffa Gutierrez, who was one of the judges. Ruffa was a stunner in a bright red, off-shoulder ballgown by Mark Bumgarner. In her IG post, she mentioned that the designer managed to create this dress for her in 3 days. I feel like both [MWP 2017 winner] Laura and Ruffa’s gowns belong to the same collection. It was 24 years ago when Ruffa almost won our first ever Miss World crown and here she is still more beautiful than ever.
Hosts Carla Abellana and Iya Villania were a study stark monochromes.
Carla had a very sleek and sophisticated black halter ballgown with a chiffon twist created by Yong Davalos, making her look very high society chic.
Hosting the Miss World Philippines 2017 last night was surreal. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the glam team behind me. Thank you to @yongdavalos for my black gown and to @margauxmedina for styling me. Thank you to @dinolazaro for my makeup and @hairbymarkbaquiran for my hair. Of course i won't forget to thank @precious_metals for my diamonds, @tokyoposh for my hair extensions, @gaocdental fory pearly whites, @freshlookph for my contact lenses, and @poshnails_ for my nails. Love you all!! #MWP2017 credit to @charmagnevidallon for some of the photos
Iya Villania wore a white, bustier gown by Claiza Bihasa, with an embellished bodice and a dropped waist chiffon skirt that showed slivers of skin whenever she moved.
So, which beauty queen and designer partnership will continue in the international pageants? Or will our new queens decide to go with a different designer. Whatever the case maybe, our beauty queens will always be in very good hands of our world-class, dedicated, and talented Filipino designers. – Rappler.com
Voltaire has 10 years experience in the fashion industry. He previously worked with a luxury clothing and accessories brand in Los Angeles, CA. He graduated magna cum laude from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, major in Fashion Design. He also holds a BS in Applied Economics and BS in Marketing from DLSU. He is now doing real estate but finds time to pursue his passions in his spare time.
More Miss World Philippines on Rappler:
- Winwyn Marquez fulfills dream of becoming a beauty queen
- 7 fun facts: Laura Lehmann, Miss World Philippines 2017
- Laura Lehmann on winning Miss World Philippines 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 Laura Lehmann on coronation night
- Laura Lehmann wins Miss World Philippines 2017
- FULL LIST: Winners, Miss World Philippines 2017
- Photo recap: Highlights, Miss World PH 2017 coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 evening gown competition
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 swimsuit competition
- Miss World 2016 Stephanie del Valle on dealing with criticism after her win
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2017 charity gala
- LOOK: Miss World Philippines presents its new crown
- Meet the Miss World Philippines 2017 independent candidates
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2017 sports challenge
- WinWyn Marquez's family, Mark Herras support her bid for Miss World PH
- Why these 8 pageant veterans are competing in Miss World PH 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the 35 candidates of Miss World Philippines 2017
- FULL LIST: The 35 candidates of Miss World Philippines 2017
- Miss World Philippines 2017 predictions : Who will win the crown?
- Miss World Philippines 2017 post-pageant review