IN PHOTOS: Top 6 gowns at Miss World Philippines 2017
Like most people watching at home and in the audience, the evening gown competition at a pageant elicits instantaneous reactions ranging from sighs to gasps, and most flattering of all: silent awe. I applaud all the designers for Miss World Philippines 2017 for their tireless dedication to provide the ladies with such beautiful gowns.
1. #15 Laura Lehmann – Designer: Mark Bumgarner
Laura made a very smart choice by going the opposite direction and wearing something that’s not in the typical pastel colors favored in Miss World or the nude, sequined gown that is currently trending in pageants.
Laura's pick was a bold red bustier column with a thigh-high slit, a masterfully sculpted side drape and a voluminous train. Barbie herself whould be jealous of this iconic gown.
Though Laura has the proportions and bone structure that designers love to dress, Laura and Mark seem to be match made in pageant heaven. It was a sexy, sophisticated gown effortlessly and beautifully carried by Laura. It's no wonder that couture magic happened.
2. #6 Jona Sweett – Designer: Adriano Samar
Jona had major wow-factor when she stepped out in Adriano Samar’s peach bustier gown with a stiffened ruffle detail and train. She was also sporting the classic top bun which basically said “Crown me now, please.” The gown looked very Zuhair Murad and it was executed beautifully. Jona looked every bit a winner in this gown but it just wasn’t her time.
3. #10 Leidda Babasanta – Designer: Richard Barretto of Hitomi
The right gown on the right candidate is simply magic. Leidda’s high neck, sleeveless, nude illusion gown was expertly decorated with intricate black appliques, beading, and a dramatic black train. Her only accessory was her silky, smooth, straight black hair and smokey eyes. Black is not a typical pageant gown color but this was a visual delight to the eyes
4. #14 Cristina Coloma – Designer: Dennis Lustico
Megan Young herself said that she was living for the huge bow detail on Cristina’s shoulder. The fitted serpentina featured floral embroidery appliques, 3D petals, and a matching oversized bow on the shoulder. The chignon hairstyle and drop earrings finished the whole look beautifully.
5. #3 Glyssa Perez – Designer: Mikee Andrei
Glyssa decided to go with a fitted column gown in blush by Mikee Andrei. It was covered in delicate appliques and crystals, and had a flowy train. Sweet, pastel colors have always been favored at Miss World and this certainly fits the bill. This gown suited Glyssa’s charming personality. This is how you achieve subtlety and sweetness with sophisticated pageant drama. It was the perfect length and style for this petite beauty.
6. #20 Trizha Ocampo – Designer: Michael Leyva
Trizha is one of the tallest contestants and designer Michael Leyva knew how to show it off in this white gown. Although the sheer tulle gown with stretegic placements of appliques, embroidery, and crystals was a very predominant in many gowns this time, a gown that is beautifully made and fits the right woman will always be on trend. – Rappler.com
Voltaire has 10 years experience in the fashion industry. He previously worked with a luxury clothing and accessories brand in Los Angeles, CA. He graduated magna cum laude from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, major in Fashion Design. He also holds a BS in Applied Economics and BS in Marketing from DLSU. He is now doing real estate but finds time to pursue his passions in his spare time.
More Miss World Philippines on Rappler:
- Winwyn Marquez fulfills dream of becoming a beauty queen
- 7 fun facts: Laura Lehmann, Miss World Philippines 2017
- Laura Lehmann on winning Miss World Philippines 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 Laura Lehmann on coronation night
- Laura Lehmann wins Miss World Philippines 2017
- FULL LIST: Winners, Miss World Philippines 2017
- Photo recap: Highlights, Miss World PH 2017 coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 evening gown competition
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 swimsuit competition
- Miss World 2016 Stephanie del Valle on dealing with criticism after her win
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2017 charity gala
- LOOK: Miss World Philippines presents its new crown
- Meet the Miss World Philippines 2017 independent candidates
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2017 sports challenge
- WinWyn Marquez's family, Mark Herras support her bid for Miss World PH
- Why these 8 pageant veterans are competing in Miss World PH 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the 35 candidates of Miss World Philippines 2017
- FULL LIST: The 35 candidates of Miss World Philippines 2017
- Miss World Philippines 2017 predictions : Who will win the crown?
- Miss World Philippines 2017 post-pageant review