IN PHOTOS: Fierce fashion statements at Miss World PH 2017
There were a number of gowns at the Miss World Philippines 2017 coronation night that made some of the ladies stand out among the 35 candidates. Here's a look at some of the beautiful outfits we saw at the evening gown competition.
#24 Zara Carbonell in a white, beaded bustier column by Albert Andrada. With Zara’s huge personality, this simple gown (by pageant standards), her slicked-back hair, and luminous face all came together beautifully.
#32 Cynthia Thomalla in a dramatic, white mermaid gown by Marichu Tan looked every bit a queen from her beauty queen bun down to the huge flared skirt. She floated effortlessly on stage.
#9 Winwyn Marquez in Francis Libiran, the go-to designer of many a beauty queen bet. Although this gown was good, it felt more like something that could have been worn at another event and not the competition proper. It just didn’t have that “ooh-ahh” wow factor for me. For her upcoming international pageant, I would love to see Winwyn in something ultra sexy with maximum sparkle – an attention grabbing evening gown that will leave the audience breathless.
#35 Sophia Senoron in Jontie Martinez. A scarlet bustier gown with intricate crystal/beading embroidery was something that she could maneuver easily on stage and it wasn’t overwhelmed by a train or cape that many of the other contestants and designers favored. This red number fit Sophia perfectly and gave her that illusion of added height.
#16 Ethel Abellanosa in John Cliff. The slit definitely made a comeback this year with about 10 candidates wearing gowns with dangerously high slits. The turquoise halter gown with a small train made Ethel look very statuesque and showed off her very long legs.
#18 Angel Alvaira in Paolo Blanco. It was a showgirl version of Maxine Medina’s Rhett Eala green fringe gown in Miss Universe. The silver fringe looked spectacular onstage – high drama and pure pageant sparkle.
#22 Chelsea Manalo in Manny Halasan. A vision of youth and beauty in an ice blue chiffon gown, Chelsea had a very Naomi-like swagger and walked like a dream, with so much grace you forget she’s only 17 years old. Although she looked great, I hope that in her future pageants, she is given her own identity and style. The gown, though beautiful, was too similar to Lupita Nyongo’s Prada gown at the 2014 Oscars. I’m very excited to see more of Chelsea.
#27 Ella Lubag in Chico Estiva. The nude illusion gown with royal blue appliques and crystals made Ella look like a delicate porcelain doll: fresh, vibrant, and very high fashion.
Which of the gowns of the night stood out to you? Let us know in the commets! – Rappler.com
Voltaire has 10 years experience in the fashion industry. He previously worked with a luxury clothing and accessories brand in Los Angeles, CA. He graduated magna cum laude from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, major in Fashion Design. He also holds a BS in Applied Economics and BS in Marketing from DLSU. He is now doing real estate but finds time to pursue his passions in his spare time.
More Miss World Philippines on Rappler:
- Winwyn Marquez fulfills dream of becoming a beauty queen
- 7 fun facts: Laura Lehmann, Miss World Philippines 2017
- Laura Lehmann on winning Miss World Philippines 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 Laura Lehmann on coronation night
- Laura Lehmann wins Miss World Philippines 2017
- FULL LIST: Winners, Miss World Philippines 2017
- Photo recap: Highlights, Miss World PH 2017 coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 evening gown competition
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World PH 2017 swimsuit competition
- Miss World 2016 Stephanie del Valle on dealing with criticism after her win
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2017 charity gala
- LOOK: Miss World Philippines presents its new crown
- Meet the Miss World Philippines 2017 independent candidates
- IN PHOTOS: Miss World Philippines 2017 sports challenge
- WinWyn Marquez's family, Mark Herras support her bid for Miss World PH
- Why these 8 pageant veterans are competing in Miss World PH 2017
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the 35 candidates of Miss World Philippines 2017
- FULL LIST: The 35 candidates of Miss World Philippines 2017
- Miss World Philippines 2017 predictions : Who will win the crown?
- Miss World Philippines 2017 post-pageant review