Mark your calendars for Panagbenga 2014
BAGUIO CITY, Philippines – It's time, once again, for the biggest festival in the Summer Capital of the Philippines, to take place.
Organizers have set the Grand Weekend Parade – featuring street dance and flower float competitions – of the Panagbenga Flower Festival in Baguio City on February 22 to 23.
The theme for Panagbenga 2014 is “Inspiring the Community for a Greener Tomorrow,” Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan said. The festival derives its name from a Kankanaey term, which means “a season for blossoming."
For those who don't want to miss out, mark these dates:
- Kickoff: Opening ritual at Panagbenga Park
- Drum and lyre competition at Athletic Bowl
- Opening of Baguio Blooms – Landscaping competition (Burnham Park)
- Philippine Military Academy Alumni Homecoming
- Handog ng Panagbenga sa Pamilya Baguio (Burnham Park)
- Let a Thousand Flowers Bloom painting activity (Melvin Jones Arena)
- Street Dancing Parade
- Grand Flower Float parade
February 24 to March 2
- Session Road in Bloom
- Pony Boys' Day at Wright Park
- Closing Ceremonies and Grand Fireworks Display
The winners of last year's street dance and float parade – Kabayan Youth Cultural Dance Troupe and Le Monet – are expected to strut their stuff once again this year.
In 2013, at least 2 million people attended the month-long celebration. Those who want to join the festivities are advised to plan their trips ahead.
View photos of Panagbenga 2013 here: