8 things to expect at Baguio's Panagbenga Festival
1. Restaurants are charging P300 to P200 per window pane. Restaurants
particularly along the downhill portion of Session Rd. are charging this
much just so you can watch the streetdancing on Saturday and grand float
parade on Sunday morning. But you have to be early as 6 am to grab your
spots because parking would be a problem.
2. If you walk by the Session Road overpasses or along the sidewalks at 10
pm, you would notice a line of people with cardboards in front of their
feet. They are staking their claim for the morning parade. Meaning, they
will be sleeping there later just so they can get the best views or so they
3. Most of the promos are for liniments and painkillers. So you have free
checkups and a five minute massage for a bottle of these products.
4. Most of the people you meet in town are tourists. Locals are home
watching TV or at the beach.
5. Some Baguio people started the "walk happy" campaign to get you to
walk around the city, sometimes simply because hailing a cab is a useless endeavor.
Look for the walk happy videos on the Internet.
6. If you are from Baguio, you will get calls from long lost relatives coming for the occasion because they no longer find a place to stay, because the hotels have been reserved since last year by government officials who are up attending seminars on climate change, LGUs on lakbay aral, youth groups on empowerment seminars and other official activities aka junkets.
7. Baguio might feel as warm as Manila. The phenom is known as urban heat
island, where more populated areas might feel up to two degrees warmer than its
8. Residents have rosy cheeks – not because they eat strawberries, more
because they are stressed, fuming mad or tired.
And like big festivals, you would suddenly realize that you came here for
the flowers. And you will hardly see them, much more smell them this
weekend. It's all about eating, shopping, selfie taking, mountain climbing
(La Presa) and hopefully, walking. Enjoy! – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.