IN PHOTOS: 2nd quarter National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) led the National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill on Thursday afternoon, June 29.
Thousands of participants from the government, non-government organizations, private and business sectors, academe, media, and individuals performed the duck, cover, and hold technique to support the exercise that was held in time for the National Disaster Resilience Month in July.
Speaking at the kick-off ceremony of the drill in Davao City, Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Undersecretary Renato Solidum Jr said that "preparedness for large scale disasters such as strong earthquakes need a whole of society effort."
"The regular conduct of an earthquake drill is necessary so that the public’s awareness and preparedness are improved, and response plans of local government and organizations are tested and refined,” added Solidum, who is also the concurrent Phivolcs director.
This is the 2nd quarter edition of the drill, which is regularly organized by the NDRRMC to ensure that authorities and the public are prepared to respond to earthquakes. (READ: Earthquake tips: what to do before, during, and after)
“Ang hamon sa atin ngayon ay mas pag-ibayuhin ang ating pagpupursige upang mas mapalawak ang ating paghahanda sa kalamidad. Lagi nating isaisip na ang kaligtasan ng ating mga pamayanan ay hindi lamang nakasalalay sa iisang tao o ahensya ng pamahalaan kundi sa ating pagkakaisa at sama-samang paghahanda at pagtutulungan,” according to Undersecretary Ricardo Jalad, Office of Civil Defense (OCD) administrator and NDRRMC executive director.
(The challenge now is for us to strengthen our efforts in preparing for disasters. Let's always bear in mind that the safety of our communities depends not only on one person or agency but also on our unity and cooperation.)
Jalad and Solidum, together with other officials including Department of Transportation (DOTr) Assistant Secretary Eymard Eje and Davao City administrator Zulieka Lopez led the ceremonial pressing of the button, signifying the simultaneous conduct of the nationwide drill.
Below are some photos of the drill in various parts of Metro Manila.
Regional DRRM councils also organized drills in other parts of the country, according to the OCD:
- Caoayan, Ilocos Sur
- Quirino Provincial Capitol
- Barangay Poblacion, Casiguran, Aurora
- Batangas State University, Batangas City, Batangas
- Romblon State University, San Fernando, Romblon
- Municipality of Malinao and Masbate City
- Roxas City Capiz
- Don Carlos Gothong Memorial High School, San Nicolas Cebu
- Talamban National High School, Talamban, Cebu
- Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center, Tacloban City
- Titay National High School, Zamboanga Sibugay Province
- Initao National High School and Initao Central Elementary School, Misamis Oriental
- UM Bolton Street, Davao City (CERMONIAL VENUE)
- Notre Dame of Dadiangas University, Davao City
- Tairan National High School & Elementary School, BrgyTairan, Lantawan, Basilan
- Agusan del Sur National High School, San Francisco
- Municipality of Ilog, Negros Occidental
- Moog Controls Corp, Baguio Economic Zone Authority
Did you participate in the Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake Drill? Let us know in the comments below! – Rappler.com