3 ways to help save #MaryJane from Indonesian death row
MANILA, Philippines - The global network of overseas Filipino workers (OWF) Migrante International calls on the Philippines and the international community to help save Mary Jane Veloso, an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) sentenced to death through firing squad in Indonesia.
The 30-year-old mother of two was arrested, tried and sentenced to death in 2010 for attempting to smuggle 2.6 kilograms of heroin into Indonesia. But Veloso's family believes she is a victim of an international crime syndicate that uses innocent women to traffic drugs around Asia. (READ: A slow death for family of Filipina on Indonesia's death row)
Veloso only began making headlines in Indonesia in January, after Indonesian President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo rejected her request for clemency.
Shortly after that, the Attorney General’s Office announced that the next batch of executions would include a Philippine citizen. Veloso is the only Filipino on Indonesia’s death row. (READ: FAST FACTS: The case of Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso)
As the Philippine government vows to exhaust all means to save Mary Jane, Migrante International appealed for ordinary citizens to also do their part in saving Veloso from the Indonesian death row.
Migrante urges the public to do the following actions to stop the execution and save the life of Mary Jane:
1. Sign the online petition calling for the Indonesian President to reconsider Veloso's appeal.
2. Send letters, emails or fax messages calling on:
- Indonesian Pres Joko Widodo to grant Mary Jane Veloso clemency on grounds of a mistrial and for humanitarian reasons. Letters may be coursed through Indonesian embassies or to the following officials:
- Philippine President Benigno Aquino III to exhaust all means to save Mary Jane Veloso’s life and investigate why Veloso was deprived of proper legal assistance." The letter can be sent to:
H.E. President of the Republic of the Philippines Benigno Aquino III
Office: JP Laurel St., San Miguel, Manila, Philippines
Voice: (+632) 564 1451 to 80
Fax: (+632) 742-1641 / 929-3968
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- The Philippine government to hunt down and prosecute Mary Jane Veloso’s illegal recruiter.
- Migrants and human rights organizations to appeal for clemency for Mary Jane Veloso.
For monitoring purposes, Migrante International requests concerned citizens to also send copies of their letters to the following address.
Save the Life of Mary Jane Veloso
45 Cambridge St., Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines
Telefax: (+632) 9114910
3. Spread the word.
Like and share the Save the Life of Mary Jane Veloso Facebook page. - Rappler.com