Iglesia ni Cristo and POEA partner vs illegal recruitment
Nabuo ang partnership ng POEA-Iglesia ni Kristo para sa laban kontra illegal recruitment at para sa OFW protection. pic.twitter.com/teB3nW5eIO— hans leo j. cacdac (@HansLeoCacdac) October 8, 2014
INC has a presence in 100 countries, potential destination of overseas Filipino workers. (READ: INFOGRPAHIC: What you should know about the Iglesia Ni Cristo)
"The POEA recognizes the significant role of our institutional partners like the academe, media, community and church like the Iglesia ni Cristo in carrying out our objectives in providing protection to our overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) as well as the implementation of our intensified and well sustained campaign vs illegal recruits," said POEA’s anti-illegal recruitment director Rose Duquez.
The POEA shared with Rappler key points of its memorandum of understanding with INC.
The POEA will:
- furnish the Iglesia ni Cristo with regularly updated lists of licensed agencies and entities, and provide information materials on the campaign against illegal recruitment such as brochures, pamphlets, and posters
- provide copies of recent anti-illegal recruitment laws and regulations and relevant materials in migration phenomenon for distribution in the schools and social service institutions, districts, and local congregations
- make its personnel available as resource speakers for the Pre-Employment Orientation Seminars (PEOS) and Anti-Illegal Recruitment Seminar (AIR) until such time that the Iglesia has its own pool of resource speakers
- train the Iglesia ni Cristo and their Lay Mission partners/trainers to be able to handle PEOS themselves
- furnish INC with regularly updated list of POEA-Government Placement Branch vacancies for dissemination together with travel updates and advisories
The Iglesia ni Cristo will:
- integrate into its programs an aggressive campaign against illegal recruitment and the conduct of the pre-employment orientation seminars (PEOS)
- assist in the distribution, reproduction, and dissemination of information materials on overseas employment
- provide venue for seminar participants
- establish a pool of resources persons who will conduct PEOS within 6 months from the signing of this understanding
- provide POEA a report of the initiatives undertaken for reference and monitoring purposes and to strengthen collaboration.
The memorandum also says POEA’s staff involved in the campaign against illegal recruitment would regularly guest on INC’s media channels. – Rappler.com
See related stories:
- LIVE BLOG: Iglesia ni Cristo 100th Anniversary
- The Catholic Church and Iglesia ni Cristo: Major differences
- Faith in action: The practices of Iglesia ni Cristo
- FAST FACTS: Iglesia ni Cristo's Philippine Arena
- Famous Iglesia ni Cristo personalities
Read other stories on Iglesia ni Cristo here.