How you can participate in the #MMShakeDrill
MANILA, Philippines – The third metro-wide earthquake drill, known online as the #MMShakeDrill, will be the most ambitious one yet.
For the first time, the annual drill which aims to increase awareness and prepare everyone in case a 7.2 magnitude earthquake hits Metro Manila, will be held for 4 consecutive days, from July 14 to 17. (READ: FAQ: What is the #MMShakeDrill 2017)
This is a timely event given the country’s observance of the National Disaster Resilience month in July.
All local government units in Metro Manila, along with the nearby provinces of Rizal, Bulacan, Cavite, and Laguna, will take part in the drill, which will be coordinated by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and concerned agencies.
How can you participate in the #MMShakeDrill? Here’s a list of reminders:
- Prior the event, you can help promote this event by taking pictures and telling us about your individual, family, and community preparations on social media, using #MMShakeDrill. Here are stories about earthquake preparedness which you can share.
- Make your participation count! To register for reminders and resources from MMDA, sign up for the #MMShakeDrill on the platform designed by Agos powered by eBayanihan team.
- On the day of the event, participate in the drill. Whether you are at the office, at school, or inside a building, perform the duck, cover, and hold maneuver for 45 seconds. The alarm will ring at 4 pm. After that, evacuate your building to a pre-determined safe open area.
- If you are at home, perform the duck, cover and hold for 45 seconds. You don’t have to evacuate your house. Remember, however, to take note where the nearest barangay evacuation center is located. Have your emergency bag on hand.
- Local government units, response teams, and individuals are encouraged to utilize the Agos Alert Map to learn more about information updates and engagement with the public for this earthquake drill. You can directly post updates on the map or tweet on social media. These posts will be automatically gathered by the Agos platform.
- Help spread awareness by documenting your #MMShakeDrill activities on social media. You can tweet your photos and reports using the official hashtag. Make sure your location services are turned on.
One crucial element for disaster preparedness is information awareness. Help spread important information by sharing stories and reports on social media before, during, and after the earthquake drill.
If you have more questions, send them to email@example.com – Rappler.com
Make your move
Even with all the noise and negativity online today, there are still stories of hope, love, and courage. We believe not only in telling these stories but enabling more of these stories to exist.
Through MovePH, we aim to engage communities of individuals, student organizations, and NGOs committed to social good.
You can be part of this movement through Rappler PLUS.
By joining Rappler PLUS, you will be able to take part in our MovePH campaigns and initiatives. Furthermore, your support will help us tell more stories and build more communities.
Rappler PLUS is your chance to make a difference.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.