Schools, hospitals near West Valley Fault
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) recently released high resolution maps that allow people to see the location of the West Valley Fault and East Valley Fault at street level.
The fault, which traverses various parts of Metro Manila and surrounding provinces, is expected to greatly affect the country since the region is not only highly populated, it also hosts the seat of government and the country’s business capital.
What critical facilities are near the fault line?
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) earlier said there are no public buildings along the 5-meter zone of active fault lines in the metro – a measurement recommended by Phivolcs.
Rappler scanned the West Valley Fault Atlas to check for schools, hospitals, military installations, prominent neighborhoods, and utilities that appear to be located within 500 meters to one kilometer from the fault.
Based on a scan of the Phivolcs atlas, the elevated U-turn slots along C-5, for example, seem to be practically on top of the West Valley Fault near Makati and Taguig.
This list is not exhaustive. We selected relevant sections of the Atlas which show the locations of the institutions concerned.
- Angat Reservoir and Dam
- Tagumpay Elementary School
- Tagumpay National High School
- Froebelian College of Science and Technology
- Bagong Silangan High School
- Fairhope Academy
- MWSS - Balara
- San Jose Seminary
- Loyola School of Theology/House of Studies, Ateneo de Manila University
- Camp Aguinaldo, headquarters of the AFP, NDRRMC, and OCD
- Camp Rigoberto Atienza, Libis, headquarters of the 51st Engineering Brigade
- Barangka Elementary School
- Industrial Valley
- Riverbanks Mall and Complex
- Padre Annibale School
- Meralco Foundation Institute
- Ateneo de Manila University School of Medicine and Public Health
- Meralco Building
- Medical City
- St Paul College Pasig
- Department of Education offices
- Philippine Sports Commission-Ultra
- Victory Christian School
- Universal Robina Corporation
- Mary Immaculate Hospital
- Rizal Medical Center
- Buting Elementary School
- East Rembo Elementary
- Benigno Aquino High School
- Ospital ng Makati - Pembo
- Raised U-turn slots along C5, near Makati and Taguig
- Pembo Elementary School
- Fisher Valley College
- Signal Village Elementary School
- Signal Village National High School
- PNR Sucat Railway Station
- Sucat Thermal Power Plant
- South Luzon Expressway
- Mababang Paaralan ng Cupang
- Muntinlupa Water Treatment Facility
- Christ the King College of Science and Technology
- Medical Center Muntinlupa
- Muntinlupa Central Post Office
- Spring College of Science and Technology
- Paaralang Central ng Muntinlupa
- Muntinlupa Division of City Schools
- Ultra Mega Supermarket
- Muntinlupa City Hall of justice
- Pepsi-Cola Products Philippines - Muntinlupa
- SM Muntinlupa
- Alaska Milk Corporation
- Monark Foundation Institute, San Pedro, Laguna
- DLSU Science and Technology Complex, Biñan, Laguna
Province of Cavite
- San Lazaro Leisure Park and Casino, Carmona, Cavite
Preparing for the 'Big One'
On ANC’s Headstart, Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum identified 6 schools which either have buildings transected by the West Valley Fault or are in the buffer zone.
- Sitio Karahume Elementary School in San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan
- Barangka Elementary School in Marikina City
- Tibagan Elementary School in Makati City
- Anne-Claire Montessori in Taguig City
- Alabang Elementary School in Muntinlupa City
- E. Pedro Diaz High School in Muntinlupa City
Solidum said buildings in affected areas may be used as storage spaces but must not be used for classes or offices as that would be tantamount to “gambling” with the lives of students and teachers.
Earlier studies conducted by the Phivolcs indicate that, should a magnitude-7.2 earthquake strike along the West Valley Fault, the entire Metro Manila and surrounding provinces could be affected. (See simulation maps on this story: What dangers await when the West Valley Fault moves?)
To prepare for an earthquake, Phivolcs also advised residents and building administrators to make sure their structures strictly adhere to the building code and are retrofitted accordingly. Communities and families are also advised to prepare their respective evacuation and survival plans. – Rappler.com
Learn more about what you, your family, and your community can do to prepare:
A list of things to do to prepare when an earthquake strikes
A checklist to identify if your house is earthquake-resistant
A list of things your family can do to prepare for an earthquake
A 40-minute conversation with Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum and safety and disaster risk reduction advocate Martin Aguda on how the public should prepare for the "Big One"
Phivolcs director Renato Solidum talks about the different earthquake scenarios that can happen in Metro Manila