State of calamity in 5 provinces, 6 towns, 1 city
MANILA, Philippines – In the aftermath of typhoon Yolanda (international codename Haiyan), 5 provinces, 1 city and 6 municipalities have been placed under state of calamity as of Monday, November 11.
All 5 are in Region VI (Western Visayas):
- Aklan - The Philippine Information Agency (PIA) reported that the declaration was made on Saturday, November 9, during an emergency session of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (provincial council). A total of 27,583 families or 118,799 inidividuals were affected by the typhoon, said PIA.
- Antique - The northern part of Antique suffered the brunt of the typhoon, provincial board member Edgar Denosta said in a report by state-run Philippine National Agency. At least 2 people in Bugason town were killed by the typhoon.
- Capiz - An initial report by the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council showed that 92,753 families or 385,800 individuals were affected in the province. A second command center for Visayas was set up in Roxas City.
- Iloilo - On Friday, November 8, only 4 municipalities were placed under a state of calamity. The following day, the entire province followed suit. Families were displaced in 12 towns, according to the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
- Negros Occidental - Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr said that Yolanda was the worst calamity that hit the province in recent years. Electricity has been down in 9 towns in northern Negros since Friday. At least 23,011 families in 27 of the 31 towns and cities were affected.
The following local government units have also declared a state of calamity:
- Bogo, Daanbantayan, and Sogod in northern Cebu, as reported by Sun Star Cebu
- Calapan City and Baco, Oriental Mindoro, as reported by DZMM
- Coron, Palawan, according to a tweet by the Philippine Information Agency in Palawan
- Medellin, Cebu
Placing a town or a province under a state of calamity allows the local government units to access their calamity funds. Price control for basic necessities and prime commodities is also implemented.
Read here the government’s briefer on the effects of a declaration of a state of national calamity. – Rappler.com
Help the victims of Typhoon Yolanda (international codename: Haiyan). Visit Rappler's list of ongoing relief operations in your area. Tell us about your relief and recovery initiatives, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @moveph.
Visit rappler.com/typhoon-yolanda for the latest updates on Typhoon Yolanda.
More from our coverage: