[Right of Way] Why the PH doesn't have enough mass transport options
MANILA, Philippines – Nowadays, it's a lose-lose situation when getting around Metro Manila – and the Philippines in general. Motorists endure harrowing traffic jams, commuters wrestle their way through buses and jeeps, sidewalks are not pedestrian-friendly, and bikers have to contend with the hazards of the reckless four-wheel automobile.
Why are we so bereft of options?
Road safety advocate Vince Lazatin and Muntinlupa City Representative Ruffy Biazon, an occasional commuter, talk about this sorry state of affairs – and experience it firsthand on a bus ride from Fairview in Quezon City to Makati City. – Rappler.com
In the Philippines, an average of more than 600 children died from road crash incidents from 2006 to 2015. Seat belts can save lives but infants and children need a more specific type of car seats for them in case of a road mishap.
Want to know more about child safety car seats? Here are some stories:
Learn more about Rappler's road safety campaign by visiting the #SaferRoadsPH microsite.
- Christmas Carmageddon?
- The fault in our signs, part 1
- The fault in our signs, part 2
- Traffic enforcement: Be careful what you wish for
- The fault in our signs, part 3
- Special Episode: MMDA responds to 'The fault in our signs' series
- Taking the MRT during rush hour
- The sorrowful mysteries of living in Metro Manila
- Stop human traffic cones
- Special Episode: Interview with Michael Brown, security and enforcement advocate
- The Sucat and Bicutan Problem, Part 1: PH's most complex intersection?
- The Sucat and Bicutan Problem, Part 2: What about Bicutan?
- Special Episode: Dissecting the complex Sucat Interchange
- On the road with GakiMoto
- Nikki Veron Cruz on the challenges of being a female commuter
- The fault in our signs: MMDA takes corrective action on Katipunan
- Bike commuting: The answer to beating traffic?
- Can a bus rapid transit system work in the Philippines?
- Special Episode: A detailed look at the proposed BRT system
- Will MMDA's driver-only car ban on EDSA work?