Tea Time with Vince and Frank: Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge
MANILA, Philippines – A day after the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge was closed, road safety advocate Vince Lazatin and VISOR motoring writer Frank Schuengel camped out by the foot of the bridge and talked about the closure's potential detriment to motorists and commuters in the immediate vicinity. This was originally broadcast live on the Right of Way Twitter account.
Based on the timeline provided by the Department of Public Works and Highways, the demolition and reconstruction of the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge will be completed in 2021.
The closure was slammed by different transport advocates – Vince and Frank included – because the reconstruction of the bridge will affect an estimated 100,000 vehicles. Travel time from Mandaluyong to Makati will take one and a half hours because of the construction, instead of the 9-minute trip using the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge.
Some groups also expressed concerns over the project, which is part of a P5.27-billion Chinese grant, as it will be tapping Chinese firms instead of local companies. The grant allows China to conduct the survey, design, and construction of two bridges along the Pasig River. – Rappler.com
In the Philippines, an average of more than 600 children died from road crash incidents from 2006 to 2015. Seat belts can save lives but infants and children need a more specific type of car seats for them in case of a road mishap.
Want to know more about child safety car seats? Here are some stories:
Learn more about Rappler's road safety campaign by visiting the #SaferRoadsPH microsite.
- Christmas Carmageddon?
- The fault in our signs, part 1
- The fault in our signs, part 2
- Traffic enforcement: Be careful what you wish for
- The fault in our signs, part 3
- Special Episode: MMDA responds to 'The fault in our signs' series
- Taking the MRT during rush hour
- The sorrowful mysteries of living in Metro Manila
- Stop human traffic cones
- Special Episode: Interview with Michael Brown, security and enforcement advocate
- The Sucat and Bicutan Problem, Part 1: PH's most complex intersection?
- The Sucat and Bicutan Problem, Part 2: What about Bicutan?
- Special Episode: Dissecting the complex Sucat Interchange
- On the road with GakiMoto
- Nikki Veron Cruz on the challenges of being a female commuter
- The fault in our signs: MMDA takes corrective action on Katipunan
- Bike commuting: The answer to beating traffic?
- Can a bus rapid transit system work in the Philippines?
- Special Episode: A detailed look at the proposed BRT system
- Will MMDA's driver-only car ban on EDSA work?