MANILA, Philippines – They go about the daily grind of educating children and securing communities often unrecognized.
But once a year, the Metrobank Foundation honors outstanding Filipinos in the fields of education, the police force, and the military.
On the occasion of Metrobank’s 50th anniversary, the Foundation awarded 30 teachers, soldiers and policemen in awarding rites held on Sept 5, 2012 at the Makati Shangri-La.
House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr led government officials and representatives from the business, academe, and diplomatic communities in honoring this year’s winners of the Foundation’s searches for Outstanding Teachers (SOT), The Outstanding Philippine Soldiers (TOPS), and the Country’s Outstanding Policemen in Service (COPS).
The recipients of the SOT award were:
- Dr Roberto D Santos, Jr of Sta Rita Elementary School (Capas, Tarlac)
- Nueva P Mangaoang of Man-it Integrated School (Passi City)
- Rizal M Vidallo of Anabu II Elementary School (Imus, Cavite)
- Mariam B Rivamonte of Santa Cruz South Central School (Santa Cruz, Marinduque)
- Dr Annie I Rodriguez of the Philippine Science High School-Southern Mindanao Campus (Davao City)
- Bonifacio D Caculitan, Jr. of Ernesto Rondon High School (Quezon City)
- Marivi L Castro of General Santos City SPED Integrated School
- Galcoso C Alburo of Concepcion Integrated School-Secondary (Marikina City)
- Dr Hilda C Montaño of the West Visayas State University (Iloilo City)
- Dr Catherine P Vistro-Yu of the Ateneo de Manila University (Quezon City)
The gallant soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) who received the TOPS award were:
- Colonel Milfredo M Melegrito (Camp O’ Donell, Capas, Tarlac)
- Master Sergeant Juana R Hernal (Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City)
- Technical Sergeant Rolando L Diomangay (Camp Lapu-Lapu, Cebu City)
- Captain Erick A Kagaoan (Headquarters Naval Station, Jose V. Andrada, Manila)
- Engineman Second Class Arce D Balasabas (Felix Apolinario Camp, Davao City)
- Engineman Third Class Ricky R Burgos (Naval Station Romulo Espaldon, Zamboanga City)
- Lieutenant Colonel Antonio Z Francisco Jr (Villamor Airbase, Pasay City)
- Senior Master Sergeant Augusto D Reyes (Villamor Airbase, Pasay City)
- Master Sergeant Emerito R Angcao (Sangley Point, Cavite)
- Colonel Raul J Tangco, Prof, (Philippine Military Academy)
Finally, the police offers who were cited as COPS
- Police Superintendent Belli B Tamayo (Quezon City)
- Police Chief Inspector Vicente S Cabatingan (Laguna)
- Police Senior Inspector Charity S Galvez (Butuan City)
- Police Superintendent Bernard M Banac (Quezon City)
- Police Officer 3 Eduardo D Santiago (Bayambang, Pangasinan)
- Senior Police Officer 3 Renjun O Bagaman (South Cotabato)
- Senior Police Officer 3 Rhia B Sotomil (Pavia, Iloilo)
- Police Officer 3 Mary Jane B Perez (Cotobato City)
- Senior Police Officer 4 Ma. Rosario Y Suarez (Davao City)
- Senior Police Officer Robert U Fabregas (Quezon City)
Uplifting the Filipino spirit
“We are grateful for the opportunity to take part in uplifting the Filipino spirit through these very noble professions,” Metrobank Foundation president Aniceto Sobrepeña said.
“Through the recognition of the best among the country’s educators, soldiers, and police officers, we realize that their success is also Metrobank’s success. We take pride in their noble efforts to fulfill the potential of our nation,” Sobrepeña added.
Through the awards which were introduced in 1979, the Metrobank Foundation would like to promote and nurture the values of excellence and achievement among the people, encouraging them to strive for the highest standards of performance of conduct in their respective professions.
Vanguards of public welfare
“Gratitude is the very least we can give for your sacrifice and commitment as vanguards of public welfare and safety,” Outstanding Teacher awardee Dr Catherine Vistro-Yu said in the acceptance speech she delivered on behalf of the awardees.
“While we teachers spend each day helping children read, write and count within the safe confines of our classrooms, you in uniform risk your lives maintaining peace and order in our nation and in our neighborhoods or protecting people and property, day in and day out. Your choice of career and the keeping of your vow to be the guardians of our country and our people is an important part of why we can pursue our different vocations,” Yu said.
Yu, a leading figure in mathematics education in the Philippines, was recognized for developing curriculum standards in schools that achieve excellence in mathematics.
The recipients of the awards were presented with plaques and gold medals for excellence in public service. A total cash prize of P10-M was awarded to all winners in the 3 categories. – Rappler.com