Week-long suspension of classes in 9 Cebu towns

More class suspensions are expected on Sunday, November 10, as DepEd continues to assess the status of schools in provinces affected by Yolanda

ISOLATION. Daanbantayan town in Bantayan Island is one of the nine areas where classes will be suspended next week. Photo by Bibi delos Reyes

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education announced on Saturday, November 9, a week-long suspension of classes in some municipalities of Cebu affected by Typhoon Yolanda (international name Haiyan).

The Philippine Information Agency (PIA) in Central Visayas, through its Twitter account, first announced the suspension early Saturday evening:


Rappler called the Office of Civil Defense-Region VII to confirm which specific areas will have suspended classes, but their office said they could not reach authorities in Northern Cebu.

Department of Education (DepEd) also clarified with Rappler that they do not declare suspension of classes.

PIA again announced the suspension at 9:37 pm. The Facebook and Twitter accounts of DepEd followed suit 30 minutes before midnight. DepEd told Rappler Cebu Gov Hilario Davide III made the suspension. 

Classes from preschool to highschool will be suspended next week, November 11 to November 15 in the following Cebu municipalities “to give time to repair classrooms damaged by Typhoon Yolanda”:

  • Sogod
  • Borbon
  • Tabogon
  • San Remigio
  • Medellin
  • Daanbantayan
  • Madrilejos
  • Santa Fe
  • Bantayan

Dr Arden Monisit, DepEd-Cebu schools division superintendent, said some schools in these areas also sustained damaged during the 7.2 magnitude-earthquake that hit Central Visayas last month, Philippine News Agency reported.

The last 5 municipalities in the list are among the Cebu towns reported to be completely isolated due to impassable roads. Medellin and Daanbantayan in Bantayan Island cannot be reached by Internet, telephone, radio, or cellular phone. (READ: Bantayan Island, 3 Cebu towns completely isolated)

The National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) said 138 were killed by the super typhoon as it made landfall in six areas on Friday, November 8, before leaving the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Saturday. 

But the NDRRMC count, combined with separate reports by local authorities, bring the total of confirmed deaths to at least 360. Of this number, 12 were reported killed in Central Visayas, according to regional police(READ: Red Cross: 1,200 feared dead in typhoon)

Education Secretary Armin Luistro earlier urged school officials to secure schools ahead of Typhoon Yolanda.

More class suspensions are expected on Sunday, November 10, as the department continues to assess the damages in schools, and the status of those used as evacuation centers in provinces affected by the typhoon. – Rappler.com


Help the victims of Typhoon Yolanda (international codename: Haiyan). Visit Rappler’s list of ongoing relief operations in your area. Tell us about your relief and recovery initiatives, email move.ph@rappler.com or tweet us @moveph. 

Visit rappler.com/typhoon-yolanda for the latest updates on Typhoon Yolanda.


Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.