UN: $19M more needed for Bohol quake rehab

Rappler.com
Over $15.1 million has been sourced from donors to fund a 6-month joint action plan, but $19 million more is needed for a revised action plan for the province

HOMELESS. Four months after a devastating earthquake, many survivors are still without permanent homes. File photo by Bea Cupin/Rappler

MANILA, Philippines – Nearly 4 months after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake hit Central Visayas, survivors in the hardest hit province of Bohol still need more funding to support “urgent shelter needs” and recovery efforts.

Over $15.1 million has been sourced from donors to fund a 6-month joint action plan for the province, according to a  statement released Thursday, February 6, by United Nations (UN) Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator Luiza Carvalho.

However, $19 million more is needed to fund UN’s revised action plan for Bohol, said Carvaldo.

The revised plan will cost $33.8 million and will cover shelter needs, health, education, and early recovery efforts. The estimated rehabilitation cost has been reduced from the original $46.8 million because Bohol had already moved on to the recovery phase by December 2013.

Carvaldo vowed “not to forget the plight of people affected in Bohol.”

Many earthquake survivors in Bohol were forced to move back to their damaged homes when Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) threatened the province in November. The UN says since then, survivors have been moving between their damaged homes and tents.

Setbacks 

“Landslides and aftershocks push them out of the house and into the tents, while flooding and heavy rains drive them back into unsafe homes,” the UN said in the statement.

(READ: Lessons from the Bohol disaster)

Recently, two typhoons brought intense rain over the Visayas, including areas still recovering from the effects of the earthquake and Yolanda. Schools have also resumed operations in the province, but with most buildings severely damaged or devastated by the quake, students still make do with tents for temporary classrooms.

According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Council (NDRRMC), at least 222 people died due to the quake, with the most deaths reported in the province of Bohol. 

Bohol Governor Edgar Chatto estimates the rehabilitation and reconstruction it will cost over P388 million, covering 9 towns affected by the quake. The figure includes money from different line agencies to restore damage infrastructure, as well as houses. – with reports from Bea Cupin/Rappler.com