Philippines hikes defense budget amid China tensions
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines is planning a 25% hike in its defense budget next year to bolster its claims in the disputed South China Sea, officials said Tuesday, July 21.
The proposed 2016 national budget, which President Benigno Aquino III is to present to parliament for approval on Monday, July 27, would reserve a record P25 billion (US$552 million) for defense spending.
Funds would be used to acquire navy frigates and patrol aircraft, budget and defense officials told Agence France-Presse.
"We need to protect what is clearly within our territorial jurisdiction," Budget Secretary Florencio Abad said when asked if the increase was due to the Philippines' maritime row with China.
"Certainly, we need to at least be able to effectively monitor the developments in the area, particularly those in disputed zones," he added.
Under the P3-trillion budget bill, defense spending would be up from a P20-billion military budget last year and 5 times bigger than in 2013, the officials said.
The proposed 2016 defense budget is part of a five-year P75-billion military modernization program approved by Aquino in 2013, Abad said.
The amount would still be dwarfed by China, which claims most of the South China Sea including areas close to the shores of its Asian neighbours.
Beijing budgeted $142.9 billion for its military this year.
One of the region's most poorly equipped, the Philippine military relies on half-century old ships and aircraft keeping watch over the South China Sea, where tensions have flared recently.
The Philippines is catching up on military modernization after spending was held back to just five billion pesos in 2013 as the government shifted resources to recovery from Super Typhoon Haiyan, which struck the country that year leaving 7,350 people dead or missing.
The Philippine military's mission to protect the country's territory is complicated by long-running communist and Muslim insurgencies that forces it to devote troops and equipment for internal security.
While China has gone on an island-building frenzy to reinforce its claims on South China Sea reefs and waters, the Philippines has set repairs on a crumbling World War II ship that serves as its lonely outpost there.
The BRP Sierra Madre, emblematic of the Philippine military, was deliberately grounded on Second Thomas Shoal in 1995 in a desperate move to check China's advance in the Spratly islands.
The South China Sea chain is also disputed in whole or in part by Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam.
"This budget will allow us more latitude in acquiring new assets for the Armed Forces of the Philippines," defense department spokesman Arsenio Andolong said.
"We are pushing hard on modernization and we will need all the help we can get.... This includes the purchase of frigates and patrol aircraft," Andolong added.
Two of 12 fighter jets that the Philippines had bought from South Korea are expected to be delivered as early as November, he said.
A United Nations-backed tribunal is expected to decide in months whether it has jurisdiction over a Philippine petition to declare China's claims as illegal.
Beijing has refused to cooperate in the arbitration proceedings. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.