9 areas in Luzon under state of calamity
MANILA, Philippines - Due to heavy flooding brought about by nonstop rain, local goverment officials in various parts of Luzon have placed their areas under state of calamity.
Rescue and rehabilitation efforts are expected to resume Wednesday. But the weather bureau Pagasa said it expects rain to continue throughout the day.
As of evening of Tuesday, August 7, the state of calamity was declared in the following areas:
- Malabon City
- Muntinlupa City
- Valenzuela City
- Cainta, Rizal
- San Mateo, Rizal
The declaration of state of calamity would facilitate the use of funds to aid affected families and expedite rehabilitation efforts.
The government had released almost P13 billion in relief aid to flooded areas across 11 regions. A total of 541,498 persons and 123,484 families have been affected by the bad weather, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council in its August 7 bulletin. - Rappler.com
Everyone is encouraged to help out. Check this list of evacuation centers and relief operations in Metro Manila for places near you.
More in #WeatherAlert:
- Person Finder: 2012 Philippines Floods
- What's the weather like in your area?
- US pledges P4-M for disaster relief
- LIVE BLOG: August 8 weather and disaster-related updates
- LIVE BLOG: Flood, traffic updates, photos
- Live Blog: Overnight monsoon and flood monitoring, August 8
- A night of fear and rain
- Almost P13M in relief aid distributed
- PHOTOS: PH capital, nearby cities at a standstill in floods
- Filipino values emerge in deluge